• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Christmas for JOE!!!

Guantanamo Joe

So gentlemen... The day finally arrived and my much anticipated box from DDM came in.

Last night I played in the garage as I installed the ported head, aluminum manifold, K&N filter (with outerwares), 990 carb and velocity stack.

Put her down on the floor and after 4 quick pulls, the beast awoke and put out a growel louder and deeper than she ever had before. Too bad it was already 11 at night, I cant wait to get her out on the road today!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice as I popped my engine "cherry". It was fun to rebuild and I really feel like now I am not itnimidated by any part on this truck... I have torn her down, seen her soul, and put her back together better and stronger :D

Guantanamo Joe

I love it... I just drive it further away from me :D

My neighbors do not like it louder because if it is further from me, it is closer to them... ha ha ha

Deluge

It's bad ass, for sure. Glad you got it running! Watch it with that K&N, though. Would suck to blow an engine right after a rebuild.

Guantanamo Joe

It is purely my "on road" monster... and I made sure to get the outerware because I know that one is prone to collect some dirt...

Unfortunately nobody here is moving until the Military moves them... ha ha ha

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
So gentlemen... The day finally arrived and my much anticipated box from DDM came in.Last night I played in the garage as I installed the ported head, aluminum manifold, K&N filter (with outerwares), 990 carb and velocity stack.

Put her down on the floor and after 4 quick pulls, the beast awoke and put out a growel louder and deeper than she ever had before. Too bad it was already 11 at night, I cant wait to get her out on the road today!!!

Thanks everyone for all the help and advice as I popped my engine "cherry". It was fun to rebuild and I really feel like now I am not itnimidated by any part on this truck... I have torn her down, seen her soul, and put her back together better and stronger :D
That's awesome man!

Glad you got her running. Sounds like it was a smooth rebuild.

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
Know what sucks though? It is all ready to run and now we are expecting a freaking hurricane this weekend. The RC Gods have the sickest sense of humor :(
I've always wanted to see a hurricane first hand. :eek:

REVOlutionary Rampage

Guantanamo Joe said:
It is purely my "on road" monster... and I made sure to get the outerware because I know that one is prone to collect some dirt... Unfortunately nobody here is moving until the Military moves them... ha ha ha
Good luck with the Hurricane. and I'm sure your neighbors being on a military base, and working there, have been around stuff much louder than a hopped up weedwacker motor. :D

G

Hang on Joe!

Guantanamo Joe

Got the DR out last night and did a couple of "quick" runs. The 990 is proving hard to tune. I read somewhere else that even though the carb bolts are tight, that they could have bottomed out without compressing the gaskets enough. I will look into that, but the carb, velocity stack, and new manifold are pretty solid on there. Other than that, I have had it on stock settings and it doesn't even want to start until I lean it in some...

Suggestions? I will be the first to admit that my MT is tuned perfectly and that was pretty much dumb luck... I wont even pretend to be good at the tuning yet :D

Guantanamo Joe

oh0- and though I was going to have to be at work for 72 hours, I am now off for that same ammount of time to weather the storm with the family... so I have plenty of time to work on the trucks :D

Deluge

Yeah, check into those carb bolts. What happens is if they're too long, they push on the gasket between the cylinder and the intake and creates an air leak. Take it all off, the filter, the carb and the intake and assemble it off the engine with the gaskets you intend to use. When it's all assembled, look at the back of the intake, if the bolts stick out, they need to be cut.

I use these needle settings for the 990...

HSN - 1 1/4 turns out

LSN - 1 1/4 turns out

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts