• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

carbon fiber shock towers done

Martin

Already....!! I don't have yet received my carbon fiber I bought...

Have you weighed the carbon fiber tower to compare with the aluminum tower?

wicks-redcat

Banned
have not weigh it but i did see alot of differnce on weight just by holding the 2 pieces so far almost done next is the receiver box in c/f did you get the 5/16 thick thats the same as stock

grf

looks very nice.

where did you get the carbon fiber from?

wicks-redcat

Banned
i got this from the airport a friend of mine works there its arospace c/f very hard and rare its 5/16 thick so not easy to get i will try to get more to make some if anybody is interested

Martin

wicks-redcat said:
have not weigh it but i did see alot of differnce on weight just by holding the 2 pieces so far almost done next is the receiver box in c/f did you get the 5/16 thick thats the same as stock
Stock aluminum tower weight 122gram, and you can expect around 70 gram if made in carbon fiber.

wicks-redcat

Banned
i can try to make one it would have to be thick so it can support the jumps i will go and get a order off c/f will see what thickness they have and i will post pics later abouth work

Deluge

A CF chassis would be awesome. I think there's one for a T-Maxx out there, they just sandwiched aluminum between 2 layers of CF. If you adapt the same process to a Rampage, You'd reduce weight, while at the same time reducing chassis flex. Plus it'd keep you from having to look for an insanely thick piece of CF.

Martin

From what I see with the carbon fiber sheet I make, I don't care for the strength of the new chassis.

The only problem I see is the large rectangular hole to align the differential case on both end of the frame, it will make these parts a little brittle, I search an idea to eliminate this hole.

If I look at the photo to show under a Dunerunner chassis, I don't see these rectangular hole where the differential case is bolted...?? The parts number seems the same as TT/MT, so... I don't understand why there is no rectangular hole, under the dunerunner it look like guide pin to bolt the diff case instead of rectangular mold.

hamster huey

Also how would you bend it for the front kickup? Im wodering if some extended skid plates could be made to make it stronger?

Sprint 77

Contributor
I guess you guys might not realize . All this talk of carbon fiber layups . It has been ten years but I hold a degree in composite engineering and was the cheif composite technician for many Indy Race teams in the late 80's early 90's .

Actually a front skid plate with the kick up would help a lot without much weight added. We just need to split up a material order instead of you all buying third party vendors.

Problem I have is time with what all I got going on metal fab wise.

scaremonger

Hey sprint, im not an ingeneer but would love to work in building rc components. since your so busy maybe you can put me to work huh huh? :D

Sprint 77 said:
I guess you guys might not realize . All this talk of carbon fiber layups . It has been ten years but I hold a degree in composite engineering and was the cheif composite technician for many Indy Race teams in the late 80's early 90's .
Actually a front skid plate with the kick up would help a lot without much weight added. We just need to split up a material order instead of you all buying third party vendors.

Problem I have is time with what all I got going on metal fab wise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts