• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Broken Shock shaft

Projectgp

So I have done tons of searching about shocks on this site. But I think because I am still pretty new to the RC world, sometimes I have no clue on what your talking about. Would it be possible for someone to maybe answer my questions with links on where to buy the item and then maybe I can see a picture to know more of what your talking about.

Question 1: I broke the front shock shaft on my TT, where and can I just buy a new shaft?

Question 2: What is the cheapest way to upgrade my shocks and where and what do I need to buy?

Question 3: What is the best way to upgrade my shocks and where and what do I need to buy?

I am sorry I know alot of this has been answered in other threads, but like I said sometimes I am just not sure what your talking about.

Thanks for all the help!

Projectgp

No one? Just a little help please. I swear I am learning, just at a slower pace!

I read somewhere that people run TT rear shocks in the front should I do this?

csp1971

Contributor
Projectgp said:
No one? Just a little help please. I swear I am learning, just at a slower pace!
I read somewhere that people run TT rear shocks in the front should I do this?
I'm at work at the moment. I'll type something up for you tonight! In the meantime, here are my shocks. I used the HPI Baja front shocks on the rear and moved the rear rampage shocks to the front.

http://www.largescaleforums.com/showthread.php?t=5203&page=5

csp1971

Contributor
Here's what I used for mine, I had a lot of extra Baja parts since I have a Baja, Rocco's suggestion would probably be easier:

1) moved the rear shocks on the Rampage to the front.

2) purchased front shock bodies to the HPI Baja for the rear

--I would probably recommend purchasing a whole front shock for the HPI Baja set off of ebay from plcman1

--If you do decide to piece the HPI's together, then get the front shock bodies from Pythonmotorsports.com for 10 bucks a pair

3) Two of these if you piece together the shocks, one if you do not. These fit directly into the Rampage shock body:

4) Finally, use these spacers for a couple bucks from Home Depot or Lowes for spacers on the bottom of the shocks: http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=1455

Roccos suggestion may be the easiest way to go but I'm not sure what size they recommend you use. I'm guessing the 4.8mm Phatdad fronts for replacement on front and rear: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4564/.f (use discount code LSF for 5% off)

Rocco- can you provide some more info on which part you exactly used?

roccos_van

I just followed everyone else's instructions; take out the factory crap, trim the sponge retainer thingy a bit with a hobby knife; drill out the factory piston and bottom plastic retainer and install the rampage parts back and you're done.

Projectgp

Thanks everyone for the help, it is starting to make more sense now.

Questions I have now

If I buy the phatdad kits and I break a shaft what happens then? I need to buy a whole new kit?

CSP1971 you talk about having 6mm shafts in the rear shock bodies on the front of yours. Where do I get those?

Thanks again for everyones help!

csp1971

Contributor
Phatdad warrants the first breakage, but you won't break it. I have those on my Baja and haven't bent one yet....2 years now.

This is what I used on the Front: http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.655/.f They fit fine with the stock Rampage shock bodies.

Unfortunately, there are no "official" instructions for this vehicle and mods. Go with the flow on what you want to do. I pieced info from Mooman, Kryptonite and catchaser to get what I have. I really like the smoothness of these shocks. I had no clue about the Phatdads, probably would have gone that way had I known. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:

racetruck

yes those will fit our stock shock bodies with no modifications, my son and i run those in ours, although my son modified his rear axles to fit the rear baja shafts

emu67

what happened to drilling new shock mount on the towers lower than where they are? makes it so that the chasis hits the ground first before the shock runs out of travel. never bent another stock shaft again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts