• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Broken Exhaust Bolt

307_Proud

I thought there was a thread on this already, but I couldn't find it. Soo, luck would have it after looking over my MT I have a broken exhaust bolt stuck in the cylinder head! Just looking for any options on the easiest way to remove the broken bolt. I don't have a drill press, however I do have an "easy-out" bit for when I do get a large enough hole drilled into it. The bolt was originally red, threadlocked in, so Im not up for an easy task! I haven't removed the head yet. I also cleaned everything up real well with carb cleaner and gave the bolt a good spray of PB Blaster to allow soak over night. Any input on this issue is appreciated.

John Blaze

You can dremel a straight line on the screw and remove with a flat head screwdriver just make sure the bit isn't bigger than the diameter of the screw or buy a screw removal kit at your hardware store it costs like 15$.

307_Proud

That's not a bad idea, however the bolt is about a thread or two inside of the cylinder head. Id be afraid to damage any part of the engine doing that. Gonna consider all suggestions.

alfred e numan

broken bolt

hi. the pb blaster really will not effect the lok-tite at all, it is great stuff tho. One great tool to have around the shop is a pencil torch, powered by butane, they have a small pointed flame, they can hit about 2,000 degrees. yes, that temp can melt aluminum. however the tiny flame is soaked up by the mass- amount of al, you are heating up. safe. like the other guy said- its either a notch made to get a screw driver into, or the easy out, i would go the easy out route and apply heat-- just enough to soften the red lok tite., if you can get it out, shit can the bolts, studs are better. just my opinion.

307_Proud

I have got a small butane torch, that makes total sense. I will be completely careful when using it. I don't want to have to buy a whole new head just because of a broken bolt! I will do my best to drill a hole in the existing bolt and use the E Z out to back it, then using the heat... How much heat though?

It would be nice to Dremel a small slit in the bolt. Ive done that in the past but Id rather not damage the cylinder head, knowing that would cause a weak point in the future.

alfred e numan

If you get the hole drilled and when the easy out is in the drilled hole, apply the heat to the base of the easy out. the heated easy out will transfer enough heat to the bolt to soften the lok tite. then carefully back the bolt out, the heat could very well ruin the easy out. but, its cheaper than buying a new jug-- cyclnder- head. pardon the spelling.

alfred e numan

the amount of heat? just get it hot enough to stink and smole a little bit, then look closely at the easy out and bolt as you carefully turn it counter clock wise-- it should come out with not too much torque required, ya gotta kinda play it by the feel of the easy out--- kinda hard to explain here with words.

307_Proud

Well, it was unsuccessful. I was able to get out part of the bolt with the easy out and heat, but it only broke away part of the bolt. So I wound up drilling the rest of it out. The threads on the head are messed up. So its my "cheap" option to tap a slightly larger hole in the head and go from there. Any other ideas? Besides buying a whole new head.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts