• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Broke another diff cup

Phill

Thanks Mate

Just wanted to be sure before I pull all the back end off.

There's a bit of stuff to take off to get to the rear diff.

Front are much easier.

BTW Did you change to silicon diff oil while you had it apart?

G

Yes that is correct. There were some material changes along the way.

Phill

I'm back!!!In the diagram below it shows O ring then washer #50067 then pin.I can't find a washer on either side.What do you reckon?Do I need it?I just realised there's a heap of parts #50067The washer I'm talking about is the one on the drive cup.When I took it apart the O ring was stuck to the back of the gear by grease.Had there been a washer there it should have been stuck between the O ring and the gear which leads me to believe there never was one there in the first place.

Front Diff.jpg

Front Diff.jpg

/monthly_2013_12/583c606ac15ba_FrontDiff.jpg.287d9bce2b10e67f5855bf8b7be16f06.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ildy666

Ur right there should have been a washer.mine didnt have them.either and that's what destroyed the oring.i.used thin shims to correct it.

BRDJ

RCDAD said:
Another trick that helps it to insert a piece of fuel line inside the cups. This helps to keep the dogbone centered. Ear plugs also do the trick.
A noob question: how do you do this sir/s? :confused: a photo or illustration will be very helpful. Thanks :)

G

BRDJ said:
A noob question: how do you do this sir/s? :confused: a photo or illustration will be very helpful. Thanks :)
Just disconnect the upper suspension link remove the dogbone or CVD and insert a piece into the drive cup.

BRDJ

RCDAD said:
Just disconnect the upper suspension link remove the dogbone or CVD and insert a piece into the drive cup.

Thanks RCDAD,

now... that is pretty clear. very much appreciated sir. :D

G

You want to do it on both cups of each dogbone. That will assure the dogbone stays as centered in the cups as possible.

BRDJ

Noted, RCDAD... Thanks.Also, can I use this to temper the diff cups?

benzomatic torch.jpg

benzomatic torch.jpg

/monthly_2013_12/583c606ac2b3c_benzomatictorch.jpg.289c9ba2646d540f14b2dd065068cdf0.jpg

Phill

BRDJ said:
Noted, RCDAD... Thanks.Also, can I use this to temper the diff cups?
I don't know that tempering is a good idea.

Hardness usual equals brittle and these things have to take a fair amount of twisting forces

G

Phill said:
I don't know that tempering is a good idea.Hardness usual equals brittle and these things have to take a fair amount of twisting forces
Heating up the cups actually de-tempers them. They become a bit softer and that's why the don't snap as easy. In theory they should wear out faster. I don't notice any premature wear though. I can say they don't snap as often.

Phill

Thanks RC

I would have thought it would harden them.

Live and learn.

Do you let them cool naturally or dump em in water?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

Ildy666 said:
Ur right there should have been a washer.mine didnt have them.either and that's what destroyed the oring.i.used thin shims to correct it.
Thanks for the reply.

It's good to know I'm not alone.

I spent half of last night trying to find where I'd dropped em before I decided that maybe they weren't there to start with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts