• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Brand new MT won't start at all:(

thejones

Nope, sparkplug is dry and I looked through the sparkplugs hole and the surface is not wet but lightly damp.

designed2survive

Do yourself a favor, flip it upside down and pull to eliminate any flooding issue. With a rag above the spark plug hole it won't be messy.

Between you and me, this is a gas engine (oil and fuel) not mentioning lube and grease you'll find throughout the truck. It gets messy most of the time!

designed2survive

So turn the car upsidedown and pull the cord?

@thejones I copied and pasted my earlier post below. (Post #10)

Alright

1- take out the spark plug
2- cover the spark plug hole with a rag
3- flip the car upside down
4- pull until you have cleared all fuel from the cylinder.

Then follow start up procedure.

If you have already done so, please let me know.

thejones

But pull what? You are not saying what to pull. It would be kinda hard to pull the starter cord while holding that big heavy thing upsidedown.

thejones

Ok, I put a rag in the hole and turned the car upsidedown then pulled the cord. It made a loud pop and blew the rag out of the hole. I got maybe 4 or 5 drips come out of the hole.

designed2survive

Ok, I put a rag in the hole and turned the car upsidedown then pulled the cord. It made a loud pop and blew the rag out of the hole. I got maybe 4 or 5 drips come out of the hole.

@thejones The rag is for fuel to drip on it not to plug the hole in case you did it. Lay it on top of the hole and pull at least 5-8 times to be sure you got all fuel out. Then go through the regular engine starting procedure.

Mikev7

Nope, sparkplug is dry and I looked through the sparkplugs hole and the surface is not wet but lightly damp.
If it's damp it's flooded. It's not supposed to be damp. I have taken a lighter and burned the fuel off the plug and pull started the truck till I burned out all the extra fuel before. It works. Try to start it with wot and the choke off after that.

Mikev7

Another wierd thing is if you have your gas cap too tight it will cause a suction issue and never start. Don't overtighten your cap.

thejones

I've tried all this and still nothing. I'm not spending another penny on this pos. I may take it to the pits where I work and have target practice fun.

thejones

I wish to thank everyone for the tips and tricks. I turned the car upsidedown and pulled the cord with the choke open and it sprayed out fuel. I pulled about 15 times until no more spray came out. Then I left the choke open and pushed the throttle while pulling the cord. Took a bit but she's up and running. She's bloody loud with the stock exhaust. I cannot imagine how loud a tuned pipe would be.

designed2survive

Happy for you! Glad it started!

Between you and me though, things are going to happen even as early as right out of the box. We were all there, frustrated and irritated, but you can't give up. It's part of the learning curve and part of the hobby. Once you past that, it's all about fun.

Approach issues with a "time to learn how to fix this one so I know for the future" attitude.

Now that it's running, you need to be proactive regarding things that can potentially go wrong. So here is a friendly list of parts/things to watch for or be prepare to tackle/repair/replace.

1- get a killer bee kill switch if you haven't already. No kidding! Good for you, your truck, everyone around you and your wallet.

2- get one or two more spark plugs. During break-in because of rich settings on the carb they can (most often) become fooled. Also great to always a spare even after break-in.

3- learn how to tune. Read about it, watch videos, ask questions.

4- learn about known issues on the MT, like electronics, bearing and such. Others can shine in with their experience with their MTs.

Perso:
- new Walbro wt668 carb
- new hitec hs-5645mg throttle servo
- new (single or dual) hitec hs-5765mg steering servo
- futaba 3PRKA or 4PLS

@WoodiE started a thread on "Recommended upgrades for the MT". Check it out!

5- Good luck and have fun, that's why you bought it after all!

Last edited:

Mikev7

I wish to thank everyone for the tips and tricks. I turned the car upsidedown and pulled the cord with the choke open and it sprayed out fuel. I pulled about 15 times until no more spray came out. Then I left the choke open and pushed the throttle while pulling the cord. Took a bit but she's up and running. She's bloody loud with the stock exhaust. I cannot imagine how loud a tuned pipe would be.
Now after you play with it go over EVERY SINGLE SCREW ON THE TRUCK! Get some anti size lock tight and...... I'll tell u what fell off mine so far..
the set screws for the brakes
the steering arm screw on the servo
the bottom screws that hold the steering knuckles on the front susp
the screw on the bottom of the metal housing on the shocks
the screwsame on the main drive gear by the engine
The servo saver sdjustment screw backed out
The front drive shaft seat behind the front different came out
Lol... 10 or so runs...

sdpearson

I did everything by the book and it won't even give a hint of wanting to start at all. Don't know what else to do.
Instead of mixing fuel yourself using 2cyl oil and gas. Try this method go to a Home Depot or Lowe's buy the ready mix fuel I brought a 50:1 mix and 93 octane can of fuel both were the same size added them together that gave me a 25:1 mix. It cost more but I don't have grey smoke plus I get better starts had the problem in the beginning

Tbernett35

I had the same troubles with my brand new one I just got few weeks ago. I work at a Autozone so I looked up the plug cause the stock one was very low spark. Turns out it crosses to a really good plug. It an NGK #3066 spark plug. I put one in and my truck started 2nd pull. Just an idea to upgrade your plug to one that's 1000 times better and it's on $3 for one at most auto parts stores.

KILLGORE

Instead of mixing fuel yourself using 2cyl oil and gas. Try this method go to a Home Depot or Lowe's buy the ready mix fuel I brought a 50:1 mix and 93 octane can of fuel both were the same size added them together that gave me a 25:1 mix. It cost more but I don't have grey smoke plus I get better starts had the problem in the beginning

sdpearson you may want to read up on how to correctly mix your fuel. If you are only adding gas to your 50:1 premix you are running dangerously lean. You should be adding oil. I seen that you gave this same advise on another post so I know it's not a typo. Just trying to help.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts