• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Belt Drive

Guantanamo Joe

Gentlemen:

I have heard a lot about this belt drive for the Rampages, and I am pretty sure it is going to be on my "wish list". I have an XT and a Dune-Runner on the way, so if I buy one, I am sure I will end up buying 2.

What information can you folks who have one give me? How long can I expect the belts to last? I see RC DAD has the system in stock, but not extra belts. How durable is the plastic cover? Does this eliminate the mechanical whirring noise when my kit drives by (I am assuming the noise is gears)?

I am pretty new at this stuff, but have no issues tearing these things apart and putting them back together (half the fun, honestly). That being said, my wife does roll her eyes every time I tell her I am ordering parts.

Thanks for the help.

G

We have been importing them since the beginning of the year. The first units for testing came in last fall. To the best of my knowledge no one has broken a belt yet. A lot of guys are running them on high hp engines, including my 7.5 hp OBR. I run mine with out the cover.

We will be getting belts in. I am having a large number cut for inventory. I will also be getting extra covers in stock also.

The belt drive does get rid of the gear noise. :)

Others will chime in as this has been a popular product.

Guantanamo Joe

Awesome. I cant wait to get one. However... I will have to wait because right now the spousal unit is a little upset that I have bought 3 cars in the last 2 months. Do you have a good stockpile of them or is there a danger of being out of stock soon?

G

Don't worry, I stock them and now replenish inventory as it is being sold.

cordy

don't worry I have 6 platforms and others have more. Ok I race my xb here in chicago ,with the belt drive,greatest thing since buttered bread. I run without the cover no problems.You will notice how smooth it runs,spools up faster,less weight than the gears,easier on the gear plate,and the take off with the stock clutch spring is decent,and you get a little more top end,and no agrivation when you need to take it apart.

DUFFY

They are worth it, you may have to mod/play with it a bit. I run mine with the cover but make sure its not rubbing, I had to trim here and there on the bottom and make sure it stays put when tighting the screws. It will run cooler and you can adjust it to your liking with the cover off. The belt wont break, it might wear out after hundreds and hundreds of hours with no cover on but I don't think any one has actually reached that point lol

I should mention I like the bottom lay-shaft to "go" where it wants to "go" so I put a little notch in my clutch housing so it would have plenty of room to clear it. My friend has a mt with the belt drive and he didn't feel the need to do that.

I would go for it, I just ran my xb 2 full tanks full blast ,( I do dumb stuff, constant gas break gas turn gas jump the curb ect ect) The xb and the belt drive held up just fine. It works for me.

DUFFY

Like I said you have to play/mod with it, its not perfect but mine works balls out now. I put washers where some plastic was and it works fine. You cant clamp every thing super tight and think its going to work. The belt drive worked on a mt threw 5 races, a full 20 minute main none stop and its still ok. I have the none variable, so maybe I don't have the same issues? My buddies is variable.

Rampage mt in the video on a belt drive.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151708604725605&l=2274301045010056282

Not everything in 1/5th scale is plug and play it needs some work to be ok. You can use bearing as the center wheel pulley or washers of the correct size and you need to let the shafts have some in and out play. I hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

mattjk

Will this kit fit the chimera sr?

G

Any of the kits that fit the X-series cars will fit the Chimera.

mvaughn12

RCDAD said:
I hoping to get a batch in by summer.
You don't have just 1 laying around in the closet, under the couch, on the workbench lol that you can sell me now? :) :D :p lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts