• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Belt Drive or Demon 2 Speed? & Gear Mesh Issues

Pedal2themedal

Working on my build a bit, and I am debating between using the belt drive or the 2 speed Demon tranny. When all is said and done, my engine will be right around 8-9 HP so it has to be STOUT.

Any suggestions?

Also, was looking at my center diff (the giant ring and pinion) and the alignment seems to be off. The pinion acts like it is a few cm's short. Because of this the gear mesh is very loose. There is no way that it would work with my engine I have coming. Have any of you had this issue? Can it just be shimmed up to mesh with the ring better?

Deluge

If I remember correctly, there are two or three shims in the center diff carrier. You can try and adjust the mesh with those.

Here's an exploded view of the center diff:

Phill

I think what he means is that the pinion on the D shaft moves in and out.

Unfortunately that's standard.

I keep meaning to pull mine apart to see if I can shim the movement out but just haven't gotten around to it.

rcgasser

No he is referring to the center gear not the d shaft if your d shaft is moving in and out that is not standard you need to remove the d drive and locktite the grub screw back down or replace the shaft because if its moving the vibration will wear the grove out on the shaft and the grub screw will not sit all the way down on the flat part of the shaft that why you have movement.

Phill

That's what I thought too until RCDAD informed me it's normal and has no effect on gear wear.

Set screw is Loctited and in correct position.

Shaft still moves in and out.

rcgasser

Ok then!!!! all of my D shafts are stable. but cool if that works for you.

Phill

RCDAD

Advertiser Join Date: Aug 2011

That is normal. The pinion just floats. It is possible to shim it if you prefer.

RCDAD

Advertiser Join Date: Aug 2011

It's not the best setup that's for sure. It really doesn't cause any premature wear that I've ever seen. It is better them a too loose or tight mesh.

Pedal2themedal

Doesn't really move but the mesh is waaaaay to loose. The pinion is only about 66% meshed with the ring. The pinion teeth are barely touching the ring gear.

Phill

Pedal2themedal said:
Doesn't really move but the mesh is waaaaay to loose. The pinion is only about 66% meshed with the ring. The pinion teeth are barely touching the ring gear.
My DR is the same

Doesn't seem to cause any probs

I'm only running 3.5 HP though

Pedal2themedal

Got the mesh issue resolved. On the drive gear, the one that goes to the pinion, the square aluminum gear mount was not installed in the right place. Tightened it up when I put my 8k clutch on and it's a little better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts