• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Back to the drawing board.

scaremonger

Its great to come back to this forum. Ive been messing around with my 1/8 scale stuff http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/SCAREMONGER_2009/Savage%20XL/IMG_1716.jpg the sad thing is that im back because my truck is toast. Well i broke some parts actually its trashed. I ll post a video soon but for now its time for a new project. maybe something like this http://i650.photobucket.com/albums/uu229/SCAREMONGER_2009/Redcat%20Rampage/IMG_1789.jpg so i will be selling the CPI pipe or trading it for something very close to the performance of this pipe. it is bad ass

grf

i made a plastic roll cage for mine. i tried alloy but for a cage nothing is better. it allows for some flex so no damages and it is light and does not have a problem with abuse. 12mm nylon rod.

krashkrieg

Contributor
Nice to have you back ScareMonger!

grf said:
i made a plastic roll cage for mine. i tried alloy but for a cage nothing is better. it allows for some flex so no damages and it is light and does not have a problem with abuse. 12mm nylon rod.
I assume you use Heat gun to bend it?...Love to see a picture of that cage

grf

yes i did and it was nt that hard at all. the main thing is to drill properly for the screws. not the best photo but i ll try and get a better one when i get home

IMG_0389.jpg

grf

my car is the third one

the other two have also plastic cages but they are not mine. i took the idea from that block though

scaremonger

grf said:
my car is the third one
the other two have also plastic cages but they are not mine. i took the idea from that block though
thats really cool stuff you should start a thread on it and give us some info

chevy

Nice cages scare glad your back and the dunrunner id like to see sombody make a nice rollcage for the dunrunner keep us posted..

grf

i ll post what ever i can guys when i get home. there is a guy here local that does this for savages and sells them. the first two cars are his. i had problems with my cage so when i saw his work i asked and he gave me a rod to try out.

grf

the first one is some sort of fg traveler clone (smartech i think)

secong is an mcd evo2

third is my rampage

fourth is another rampage

fifth is a 5t

and the last two i think are 5bs

E5B

grf said:
Grf, nice to hear I'm not the only person buildin plastic roll cages. I'm using 12mm Derlin. Sometimes Metal is not always the best solution for the tuff stuff.

grf

i have build alloy cages for two cars and the result was the same. screws coming loose

bending

damage to the rest of the car

nothing was worth the effort for me.

the only real improvement was stiffness but even that does not matter unless you are a racer and you want the perfect handling sacrificing even durability for that.

plastic is easier lighter and bash proof that is for sure.

i acts like a spring that absorbs the energy of the impact.

everything within limits of course and in comparison with metal.

here are some photos of what i use. nothing fancy but it does the job for me very well.

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

i tried not treading but it was impossible to put the screws in so treading it was. i used the stock screws where i could and the rest was 4mm.

grf

all the bends are done with a cheap heat gun. i had no idea what i was doing or a jig. all were done free hand roughly. plastic forgives a lot of mistakes. if i had to do it again i would measure everything and make a jig with screws on timber. then cut the right lengths and put them in the oven. after heating i would just put it on the jig and let it cool. the trick with the heat gun is not to try to heat the plastic fast. take your time or the outside of the rod will almost melt and loose its elasticity and the core will still be hard to bend.

that is why the over is in my opinion a better option. if i would do it again i would do 2 long parts as the stock cage and not four as it is now.

DemonRC

I've made alot of 4130 tubing cages for my 1/5 scales except for my XT. I want to keep that as light as possible. I'm defintely going to try making a nylon cage for the XT. Good stuff man.

jackson

nylon tubes?

sup guys interesting cages there

where did you guys get the nylon tubes from?

hardware store?

hamster huey

Thanks GRF I ordered some. Im going to try to make some for all my cars. Ill post if I can pull it off......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts