• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Aluminum Steering Links

G

Does anyone know if aluminum steering links and servo steering links are available for the rampage. I can't find any. If anyone has used links from other trucks that would be fine also. I have not broke any I just don't like plastic. Any info is much appreciated.

Deluge

Ah, I see. I misunderstood. I doubt they make them. I believe the links on the MT Pro are plastic, as well. You might be able to get some rod ends from McMaster-Carr.

Rod Ends

Personally, I'd stick with the plastic ends. I'd rather snap a cheap link than destroy an expensive servo.

DemonRC

The XB/T alloy upper arms have alloy ball joints. I dunno if they can be purchased seperately. Also, every aluminum ball joint I've ever had goes sloppy on me. Any dirt gets in there and it'll wear fast. Also, with no flex capabilitiy you will snap the rods like toothpicks even on light wrecks. I snapped so many rods with my alloy ball joints and I went back to the plastic ends. Soon as I did that I havn't broken another one. This is the front upper arm I'm talking about. I'd think steering links would be prone to the same stress.

G

Thanks for the input. I found Lunsford Racing sells all the titanium turn buckles. I just need to find someone who sell aluminum end links large enough. 5m for the servos and 6m for the steering link (tie rod).

XBENOOB

DemonRC is correct... they do get sloppy after a while... and you will break the turnbuckles.. I tried going back to the plastic ends, but still broke turnbuckles.. So I went back to the aluminum rod ends and then sleeved the turnbuckles by using the original redcat square wheel nut and putting it on the turnbuckle.. then adding washers to either side of the wheel nut to get the correct camber... ever since then, no more broken turnbuckles... Still sloppy rod ends though...

G

I already have some titanium turnbuckles. I am now looking for some studded ball ends for them. Found a guy that machines a lot of custom RC parts. He thinks he can located ends for me.

MrMeatHooks

This thread has inspired me to fix the crap plastic tierods on my truck.These are 6mm x 1 Tierod ends. These should work with the factory tierod shafts, if not maybe the HPI Baja 5 SC will. I will need to make some measurements when they get here.

6m tierods.jpg

6m tierods.jpg

/monthly_2013_04/583c606850b09_6mtierods.jpg.ba59b06a4f9278d0bd6bf7dfaff4d7a9.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MrMeatHooks

RCDAD said:
Do those come in both right & left hand thread?
Yep. I'm hopeful they will work. The turnbuckles are the only possible issue, but titanium might be a good option of the stock length do not work. May also have to have jam nuts, not sure on that either until they get here.

Wayne

Did the above photographed 6mm x 1 Tierod ends work with the stock turnbuckles?

jandmt

I too hate how sloppy loose the stock steering links are. Any updates on these aluminum torrid ends?

Silent_chaos

jandmt said:
I too hate how sloppy loose the stock steering links are. Any updates on these aluminum torrid ends?
You can get the ones from IRP.

Currently using them and im very happy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts