• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Adjusting the brakes

AlvaSpeed

I feel that the Rampage brakes are too grabby.

More like an on/off switch.

When I hit the brakes they lock instantly and I think it is kind of harsh on the drivetrain.

I would like them to be more progressive.

Steel disks?

Any ideas?

Ron E

Contributor
mine was that way also, i turned them down on my radio... i run from 25-45% down from 100% depending on surface conditions. i use a cheaper hi-tec agressor radio but once i discovered this adjustment it made the braking much nicer. it used to just lock up the brakes and stop immediatly, now i can adjust the brakes from locking up to stopping in 1' to 3' and not locking the wheels, much nicer braking action.

you could also have less braking by allowing more play in your brake linkage, allow further travel before engaging the brake rod, but radio adjustment is the best, i adjust mine while driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

I have a spring on my brake linkage. It will not lock the wheels up but it will bring it to a fast stop. If you want it to lock them up try fuel tubing instead of a spring. Both methods are progressive as in you can lightly brake by lightly braking on the tigger or you can brake hard by really getting on the trigger.

brake link.JPG

/monthly_2009_06/583c60598e8c3_brakelink.JPG.8b60726dae9707820b54e5793afc007a.JPG

kryptonite

hey alva.. i have the same issue. its a good problem to have.. too much brakes that is. i wanted a nice progressive stop. i didnt want to limit servo thro or have to back my epa's on the radio all the way out. first i polished the caliber and the fiber discs(more slippery?) i also drilled what looks like venting holes thru the fiber disc and also made the disc smaller(less contact space?) by puting both discs thru a hub and on a drill. just sanding them round.. still grabbed like a 2 year old at a candy shop.. my best resoults were using diffrent tension springs. the stock spring is short and lose. i found a lighter spring that is longer. that seemed to work the best. i also use my radio settings to slow down the brake side of the servo so its not so twitchy as well as using my a.b.s. with a long delay and short strokes so it doesn't "bounce" to a complete stop

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonRC

I've got a little bit of everything to get my brakes the way I want em:

1) Brake travel adjusted on the radio.

2) Used longer and softer fuel tubing.

3) Moved the brake linkage in 1 notch on the servo horn.

I've been thinking about using a duel spring setup but havn't gotten around to it yet. I was going to use a soft and hard shock spring from my Micro-T to provide that progressive feel. I might try that this week.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts