• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Should the primer bulb have Air in it?

BoostCreepr

no matter how many primes, my bulb always has air.. is that normal? I am trying to narrow down a starting issue. stock motor, 990, cpi pipe, NGK, MSD wire. I have spark, but it seems to be no fuel into the cylinder. The weird part is that i had just tore it all down for new bearings, put it back together, got it to fire up and drove it around for a couple minutes, i shut it down to adjust the brake set screws and now it wont fire. it sat for 1 day before i tryed to restart. No leaks, headgasket looks good, no oil from pipe or anything. i just vented the gas tank too.

Dreggsta

is the fuel line & carb vent line crossed when you put it together? lol, sorry, that was my coon ass talking. what i meant was, when you put it back together did you mix up your lines & put it back together backwards. the fuel ine has the filter attached to it in the gas tank & the vent line is the other line. fuel line goes to top of carb. vent line goes to bottom of carb. & yes, good luck trying to get the air out of the bulb. it is normal & doesn't affect anything (unless too much air in there b/c it wasn't pumped & primed lol).

BoostCreepr

i would hope i am not that stupid lol but you never know! I did think maybe my inline fuel filter is backwards.. even though there is no indication what side is what...i will check what you said when i get home. The weird part is that it was running and driving.. i shut it off on my own it didnt stall.

Dreggsta

well i wouldn't say stupid. sounds like you had a lot going on. the filter really shouldn't matter as you can blow through it both ways. there should be an arrow but you said there isn't so i don't know. maybe open it up & see which way the filter is oriented. the filter screen should be on the side that the flow is supposed to go to.

i make lil mistakes like that too. one time, when i was a teenager, i got my first car, an 81 jeep cherokee. i just did some vacuum tests & i had the fuel line pinched. i forgot to unpinch it & went & test drove it in my neighborhood. well lol, my engine died on the other side of my neighborhood. i pushed it back to my house, popped the hood & saw what i did. unpinched it & it fired right up. lmao, talk about feel dumb. i coulda drove it back home.

alfred e numan

BoostCreepr said:
i would hope i am not that stupid lol but you never know! I did think maybe my inline fuel filter is backwards.. even though there is no indication what side is what...i will check what you said when i get home. The weird part is that it was running and driving.. i shut it off on my own it didnt stall.
the vent line goes on the primer bulb side of the carb.- its the fitting attached to the white plastic plate. the fuel line goes to the bottom of the carb. when the bulb is pumped, it should have about 2/3 to 3/4 fuel in it. The primer bulb- all it does - it fills the carb with gas and purges out the air. pushing the primer bulb will not put 1 drop of gas into the motor if the carb is operating correctly.

BoostCreepr

So i'm going to say it was a fouled plug. I pulled my NGK out and there is some black carbon build up on the top of my piston so i guess im running rich. When i fired it the first time i had the brakes too tight and when i tried to drive it was dragging hard so the buggy was barely moving.. guess i flooded and fouled the plug.. fired up with new plug. My bad?

BoostCreepr

Well new issue, im guessing messing with the carb trying to get it to start has my buggy running like shit lol. It starts fine and idles, a lot of smoke on accel and while idling if i blip the throttle and it comes back down it slowly bogs out and dies. Which needle needs my love?

Dreggsta

Yeh the low sounds a bit rich. Blipping the throttle affects the lsn & holding the throttle down affects the hsn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts