• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Oil ratios

James1996

hey guys I was wondering what ratios do you guys use, and what ratio's you should defiantly not go above.

i am using stihl 2 stroke 100 synthetic oil

on the redcat rampage mt v3 manual it says 25:1 and on my stihl 30cc blower it says 50:1 when using stihl 2 stroke oil and 25:1 with any other branded oil.

when I was breaking my Redcat rampage mt v3 I was using stihl 2 stroke oil at a ratio of 25:1 and after i breaked it in I noticed that there was to much oil in the engine the spark plug was covered in wet oil and so much oil was spraying out of the muffler and all over the car and this was collecting dirt

so i have changed the ratio so the spark plug looks like this

is this ok, what ratios do you guys use

G

Be careful when using less oil. I would not do less than 30 - 1. If you are blowing oil out the exhaust. That is actually oil & fuel. You are running rich. I would try tuning it before lowering the oil ratio.

James1996

it wasn't coming out of the exhaust it was leaking down the muffler dripping and it was thick and gluggy so i thought to much oil and the spark plug had oil all over it unlike my stihl blower which is a 30cc and uses stihl oil (the same oil that my car uses) at 50:1 and whose spark plug is what it is recommended to look like

G

If it runs good for ya then great. IMO I would change oil brand before messing with the mixture. The synthetics are great. There is an article out there that rates 2 stroke oils. It was put together buy a guy that races shifter carts. They got data from all the oil companies. There were a couple of facts that were unbelievable. First, there were only a couple of companies that produce the oil. Every one relabels it under their name. Some companies added extra ingredients, such as detergents. They found any 2 stroke oil with additives did not burn as clean and resulted in lower performance. Here is the kicker. The oil they found to be the best of the non synthetic was the tech 2 stroke oil from Walmart. It is a relabeled oil. If I remember correct it is Penzoil with no additives. He mentioned he got a lot of slack from his competition. During tear downs found perfect cylinders and rings. Remember this guy drives a $10,000 cart. I will look for the article. If I can find it I will post it. He had a lot of interesting data in there.

rcgasser

There is a difference in oils I started out using castrol 2 stroke oil to me it was no good then I switched to kal gard synthetic 2 stroke oil the difference is day and night easier starts better running more power.

G

Yeah I've always been a believer in synthetics, no mater what what I'm driving.

jessehayes7396

Oil ratio??

manual for XB says 25% oil to gas, theres no way thats right. Read your guys forum and u recommend lower ratios. Please let me know what a good ratio for this car is because theres black sludge everywhere and it bogs sometimes at full throttle as well as idling unevenly. I love this car but i'd like for it to run better

G

It's 25:1. Needs to be this for break in. I run about 30:1 with synthetic. If your blowing the black gunk out it's time to tune it. You need to lean it out some. Your running rich.

Aznhunter

I agree with RCDAD, if you go full throttle and the engine starts to bog you need to lean out the carb. I run about 30 to 1, but that's just me.

Keith81

is 8oz's of oil to a gallon of gas to rich ???

I messed up a batch of fuel, should I ditch it, or is it ok to use this gallon between both of my trucks ?

Its only a gallon so...

dozer187

yea its to rich.....almost double what should be in a gallon....should be about 5oz to the gallon....u could chance running it but be prepared to replace the sparkplug and excess oil pourin out ur exhaust

Keith81

I'll have to dump it and make another gallon... No biggie really... I rather be on point then to much, but I guess to much is better then not enough!

alfred e numan

the oil debate

There is nothing that has the properties of the castor bean, as this natural oil is hammered in a engine- its film becomes stronger, BUT- it tends to stick to the exhaust port. there are the new oils - bel-ray, kal-gard, ect,ect they burn clean and run great, but there flash point is much lower, it burns off hot parts -the rod ends too quickly if you are a little too lean. most of the new 2 stroke motorcycle oils have been designed for water cooled engines- moving power valves-closer fitting parts-ect,ect. Now fellows, I know this post will open a can of worms- oh well, If you do run 927 be careful in cold weather- it can seperate in the gas can. I run klotz- its a modified form of castor, yea it will stick to the exhaust port, but it is a good choice for a air cooled motor. at 25-30 to 1 you have a bigger margin for tuning errors. hell, all oils are good- its just like -how do you like your eggs cooked- seasoned. Happy thanksgiving to all- Alfred and his Hybred wolf said it.

G

I'll have to dump it and make another gallon... No biggie really... I rather be on point then to much, but I guess to much is better then not enough!
Just add 2 more ounces of oil and 1 more gallon of a and your perfect.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts