• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How to tell when fuel is bad?

Evildomain

Contributor
Ok, I've been meaning to ask you guys how can I tell when my fuel has gone

bad or I have a bad batch? I've read some posts where someone doesn't drive

their truck a little while and then all of sudden the fuel is no good. Is it color or smell?

Last edited by a moderator:

Evildomain

Contributor
Good idea. I'm going to try that right now.

Lighting the match, getting it near the open gas can, nothing seems to be happe......................

Sprint 77

Contributor
Another good reason why I run AVGAS 100LL . I have never had a issue with the fuel and I go for months between running at times. I do more fabbing and building for my ( and you all ) R/C's than I do running.

6victor6

Contributor
RampageHopUps said:
If ti doesn't kill your neighbors grass, it was bad. I don't take a chance, I just dump it in the golf cart.
Nice.. I'll check that out...

While we're on the subject.. If bad gas were used, can it cause any damage? Is there any concern other than a lack of performance?

Martin

Like other said, very old gas have a caracteristic smell.

Usually less than 3 month your oil mixed fuel are still ok, I even don't worry myself to use 5 - 6 month old not mixed gas, if I have a doubt, I put some octane booster in it.

Old gas can cause the engine to ping (detonation) = too much heat = can cause bad performance, or engine damage...........

At the end, for that smaller quantity of fuel you use in your RC, if you have a doubt about your fuel, put it in your lawn mower, snowblower, golf cart, etc...... and go to buy another 4$ of fresh fuel for your delicate RC engine, I don't think it will harm the budgit a lot..........

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts