• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

xsc steering,,,lost 5ive t ???

xscrick

Banned
Does anyone know how close losi 5ive t steering will fit on the redcat..i know u can use hpi baja steering tie rods 86mm vs 92mm length.. the losi setup looks far superior to the redcats,,, that steel music wire,,who thought of that idea,,,, maybe for a little kids department store rc,, but for a 1/5th scale,,,what was redcat thinking,,,,,,was also thinking about upgrading to some nutech 8mm tie reds with aluminum ends,, another possibility,,,

timberbill11

Supporting Member
I am using the 5ive-t rod ends, balls, and titanium turnbuckles on an XT, front and rear. Bought their spare parts kit to get some of it then more of just the ends and balls for spares. Bolts are larger od so either redrill or put brass bushings fabbed from tube stock for proper fit. Milled the balls some and to fit between the ears of the 7075 c-cups and had to mill a bit off the one side of the od of the front rod ends for clearance with the 7075 bearing holder mounting screws but left plenty of stock for strength.

Working great so far.

G

If possible post some pics. That sounds like a nice mod. :)

timberbill11

Supporting Member
Will do so when I get back to Michigan next week. Have been working on the xt for a year trying to sorta bombproof it and get rid of all the stock slopiness!!!!!!! Have spent way more money and time on it than actually running it......... lol.

By the way, RCDad did you get my e-mail regarding the XT steering bushings???

G

I did. I've been looking but have had no luck. They come with the C-Hubs but not by themselves.

timberbill11

Supporting Member
Thanks for looking....... I have been scouring the suppliers with no luck as well as Redcat, actually machined some from brass flanged bushings but wanted the stock ones and some for spares. I will get back with Redcat on Monday and continue my pursuit. Had also bought some of the stock plastic c-hubs just to get the bushings.

timberbill11

Supporting Member
It does make for a rather expensive set of bushings.......... however I easily spent more than an hour machining out the brass bushings plus their initial cost ...... but all in the name of good fun............... smile.

Back to the original post ........ I am also using the Redcat alum steering and servo saver and have been working on a replacement for the rod type link. But have been closely watching the progress on 7075's steering system........ looks like he will ultimately save us a bunch of work as well as headaches.

As long as we are at this here is another one..... I sent this to 7075, (sorry I just have a hard time referring to Doug as ole fart simply because I am sure that I far exceed him or most of those on here in years accumulated. .....smile....)

Here tis:

"On another note ....... I have found that installing the Redcat aftermarket parts ( c-hubs, bearing holders, upper and lower control arms) that the 128 mm cva axles are a bit short for proper engagement with the drive hubs. Their parts add a couple mm to the span. I cured it by spacing the drive axle inboard with 10 mm x 1 1/2 mm shims. When as far as I could and still retain the flats for the wheel adapter set screws to properly engage.

Noted that the 7075 parts create the same situation. That being said, question is ....... do users experience the same situation and or are they using the dog bone arrangement. I do have dogbones here that measure 130 mm and 133 mm. But i really want to use the cva style. Not sure why Redcat shortened the CVA's to 128 and when I mentioned this all to Chris at Redcat he maintained that he had not had this complaint from others and suggested that I document the situation and send it to him. Laid all the parts out measured and photgraphed and sent it along 4 weeks ago and have not heard back."

I have very carefully measured these parts pivot hole to pivot hole, as well as the offset of c-hub pivot holes to bearing pockets ect. and the installation of all their hop up suspension componets do increase the distance from the drive hubs to bearing holders.

So have any of you experienced this and what has the results been?

xscrick

Banned
will it fit???

i have priced the losi parts ,, bellcranks steering arm etc,,,, comes under 100 bucks if i get the new chase steering arm and the bearings,, and new servo saver adjustment nuts,,,,,, but how close would that be in fitting, both look the same in design,, one might be a copy of other,,,but im concerned on height of steering posts and the width on them mounted on chassis with steering arm bolted,,,, bolts for mounting seem to be same size in mm,, so should bolt on, as long was width and height will work,, anyone know ??? looks far superior to redcats design

Nurchburgler

RCDAD said:
The losi parts are way bigger. It would not be a bolt in mod.
I second that...I was considering this upgrade..just the akerman and losi 5ive steering components are not even close to the redcat.

You would have to adjust the whole geometry and as the can of worms continued to open..7075rc will be finishing his design lol!

krashkrieg

Contributor
timberbill11 said:
Thanks for looking....... I have been scouring the suppliers with no luck as well as Redcat, actually machined some from brass flanged bushings but wanted the stock ones and some for spares. I will get back with Redcat on Monday and continue my pursuit. Had also bought some of the stock plastic c-hubs just to get the bushings.
Sears has a "hard to find" parts area with just drawers of odd hardware (things like rubber stoppers, c-clips (large), hinge pins, cotter pins, you get the idea) I found plastic bushings that fit as replacements perfectly.

Nurchburgler

I go to marshals here in San Diego

They are a super super hardware store that has a billion screws and small parts..5th scale mod dream

Tools, aluminum stock, and more

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts