• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Xb to XBE Conversion Starting

DemonRC

OK here's what I have so far.

1) A complete XB that I stripped down

2) 2x XBE stock motor mounts

3) 2x XBE stock upper rear plates

4) Stock XBE 980kv motor

5) 2x XBE stock spur gears

6) 2x 10T 5mm pinions

7) 1x 11T 5mm pinion

8) 1x 10T 8mm pinion

9) Stock heat sink

10) Stock radio box

What I need now is:

1) $72 - Stock XBE chassis

2) $10 - Steering servo mount

3) $10 - ESC mount

4) $11 - Battery trays

5) $8 - Rear braces

6) $12 - Side guards

7) $6 - Front brace

8) $120 - ESC

Total: $249

Sure beats buying another XBE.

Cain

For the battery trays, do you think other brands could be used? If so, what is the maximum length you are thinking?

Looking forward to hearing more about your build.

DemonRC

I've looked around at some 1/8 scale trays and some of them are good but not that cheap. Most were one-piece too which I didn't like and the Rampage trays are the easiest since they are two pieced. The price is good too at under $11.

Vision

The hpi vorza tray's are much nicer than the stock xbe tray's. They are adjustable in width also. The only issue is the mount holes are different so we'd have to drill new holes and countersink them.

DemonRC

Vision said:
The hpi vorza tray's are much nicer than the stock xbe tray's. They are adjustable in width also. The only issue is the mount holes are different so we'd have to drill new holes and countersink them.
Thanks for the heads up on those. I got some new Turnigy 6s 5000's in tonight and they do not fit. I need an extra 2-3mm on the sides so they are not so tight.

reckone said:
Have the original engine out that thing still? Id be willing to buy it...
This conversion is going to use the stock ESC and motor setup. I want to keep it like that for demo purposes.

DemonRC

Here's a pic of the Vorza setup. I'm ordering 4x sets right after xmas and fit em in the XBE's:

Vision

Nice, let us know the install goes. I have two vorza tray's here and the hole locations are different, so you will have to drill..

DemonRC

I didn't like the way the tray was spaced off the chassis. It just doesn't support a tall 6s like I would want. It also pushes the battery another 8-10mm higher. The adjustablility was really nice though. I ended up installing it in my Losi DT.

I ended up dremeling slots into my stock trays to clear the wires and my new batteries fit much better. The problem is now with the 6s is that there is almost no velcro to hook onto. Our straps are defintely made for 3s batteries. 1/2 of the strap is hooks and the other half is loops. 6s guys really need a strap that's 1/4 hooks (just for the end) and 3/4 loops.

Vision

I'm surprised the turnigy 6s 5000's fit. I thought they'd be too wide for the stock trays. What C 6s's did you get ?.

DemonRC

I got the 40c 5000's. I initially thought they would not fit. I stated this in some other post. It turns out that if I cut a slot in them for the battery wires to clear they will go in nice and snug. I can see the tray sides flex out slightly but it's not really noticable. The sides hug the battery tight but not so tight that it takes any real effect to get them in or out. Actually, it's probably the fit that I would set if I installed those adjustable trays. I'll try to snap a pic tonight since I have to do some TT > XB steering bellcrank swap tonight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts