• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

warning - Kill switch DOA

jefwoe

I just received my new dune runner yesterday. This is my first 1/5 scale... the closest I have come in the past is a 1/8 scale gas buggy. I must say that I wasn't sure what to expect. The buggy is a sight to behold. I was very impressed with the quality of the build. I was a little nervous because of all the reviews I read, some negative and some positive.

I was also surprised when I started reading the instructions on how to get my dune runner ready to go. They were very verbose, step by step instructions. In most cases they covered some of the issues I had read from others negative reviews. So I started gaining some confidence about how things would go. I followed the instructions word for word. I pulled on the pull start 10 times with the choke on, then 10 times with it off, etc. After doing this a few times, I started to smell gas, and realized it was certainly flooded.

Not having hind sight on my side, I pulled out the spark plug to see if it was flooded, and it certainly was. So I cleaned off the spark plug and put it back in, to try it again. Same results. So I took the spark plug back out pulled out my multimeter and started troubleshooting. First looking to see if I was getting anything out of the spark plug wire... I was, but it seemed like it was weak. Next... I suspected the kill switch. So my son and I took off the pull start and tested the kill switch.

Sure enough, the kill switch was DOA! So, my son and I grabbed a toggle switch we happened to have lying around. Wired it up and went back to pulling on it. Opened the throttle a bit to get all the gas out of it, and three pulls later, the beast was alive! :)

So, this is my warning to others. The kill switch on my new dune runner was DOA. I hope it doesn't happen to you, but if it does, remember to check the kill switch. :)

jefwoe

ooops, wrong section

sorry, I put this in the wrong section. can anyone tell me how to move it? :)

RampageHopUps

This is the right section.

The button you are referring to is the stop button. We have stop buttons, fail safes, and kill switches that can be used on 2 cycle engines.

jefwoe

that's good to hear

so, I got my make shift kill switch in and ran it for about another 45 minutes or so... then the coil crapped out. It shorted! I don't have a make shift fix for that. :( At least the guys at Redcat are quick to reply. I'll have my replacement parts by next week, it looks like. I'm rather bummed. The car seems like a great car, and even the engine runs great.... minus the crappy coil and kill switch. Funny how minor things can become so major. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jefwoe

yeah, was hoping to get finished breaking it in, before it broke. :)

feelathome77

Fun, fun, fun

Nah! Where's the fun in there if everything works at the start.

That's just the tip of the iceberg, friend. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts