• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

wanting a dunerunner

ahtwl08

how does everyone feel about the dunerunner? is it built tough?

kbreaux100

i purchased one about a month ago, and i can tell you this.make damn sure you use locktite on screws going into metal before you run it or you will be losing screws and having to buy extras. its a good idea to buy an extra screw set anyways cuz it will still happen. ive been running with a friend that has a hpi baja, and he has broken several parts,while i have broken none.we both drive in the same condtions and put our buggies through the same stresses. ive been very impressed. i would definitely recommend it over the baja,i believe it is just as tough or tougher,and is 4wd.one more thing,do not trust part numbers on the exploded views that come with it, ive found alot of times they are wrong and ive ordered wrong parts more than once because of this. hope ive helped

Chief409

I've had mine for 6 - 8 months now. Good basic design, to keep the costs down: cheap electronics, especially the servos, crap tires and wheels and you'll need to refill the shocks with a good grade silicon shock fluid. Get a set of extended HPI wheel adapters, some Baja 5T wheels and tires, put in your own electronics (I've been running Traxxas TQi on my 1/10 rigs and like the performance so there's a TQi RX in mine, keeps the TX total to 1) get rid of the stock servos, install a Killer Bee ignition kill switch and you have a good rig for much less then other 5ers.

Tough? HELL YES!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief409

Need to disable the glitch protection at the Killer Bee. Not a problem with the way the Traxxas fail safe works. Radio glitch or bug out and the servos go to neutral. All the other Killer Bee functions work. Love having the ignition kill which is on it's own channel. Primarily I'm looking to protect against a throttle servo going haywire.

Chief409

RCDAD said:
The Dune Runner is definitely one of the toughest Redcats!
I should of saved my "Blooper" video. Dune Runner vs steel pole, impact on the top of the roll cage is one with the nose of the Dune Runner straight down. Drop and run!

Loud "clang" noise though.

TOUGH!

REVOlutionary Rampage

Chief409 said:
Need to disable the glitch protection at the Killer Bee. Not a problem with the way the Traxxas fail safe works. Radio glitch or bug out and the servos go to neutral. All the other Killer Bee functions work. Love having the ignition kill which is on it's own channel. Primarily I'm looking to protect against a throttle servo going haywire.
Good, I,ve been looking at the killer bee for a while now. And I noticed my radio was on the list of incompatible radio's. now that I know it works with the traxxas radio I've found my next purchase. :) and same here, plus I'd like to be able to run my truck wothout worrying that it might take off and hit somebody.

ahtwl08

well I feel good that I already ordered last week then. first 2 things I want..... kill switch, and exhaust. whats the best exhaust? ive heard jetpro, dominator, and victory. as for the tires and electronics, I will replace that as it all goes bad. although, ive seen that stuff go fast. I replaced my xt wheels in a week because the foam turned to dust. thanks everyone.

rampagemt

Ya the vrc side pipes are a no brainer. I have been wanting to try gizmomotors new rc pipes

Chief409

I have a Victory Big Bore side pipe on mine. Didn't require any mod of the roll cage, I did need to make a bracket which bolts to the chassis to hold the front pipe mount in place. Almost "plug and pay". The pipe is tuned for increased low and mid range torque with 30.5 cc engines.

kbreaux100

yeh,the stock brake/throttle servo was definitely a throw away from the start for me.it was a hexfly brand i think. the throttle and brake response was so slow and low in torque i could barely get to full thottle! the steering servo has been quite impressive for me though. resonably fast and plenty of torque.it will move my wheels full throw on a rug.i got a battleswitch killswitch from dimension engineering website.hooks into third channel on rx and can be switched by 3rd channel,turning off radio, or loss of signal. doesn't have all the bells and wistles of the superbee,but it defintely does the job at 26$! also,i got the rovan hexes and wheels/tires for my duney.their clone 5b parts, but tons better than the stock wheels and tires. extremely cheap too on ebay

ahtwl08

so it will work with the stock dune runner motor right? where can I find one?

blak__jak

I really can't answer you on the d/r vic pipe combo since I've got the cpi rear big bore on mine and it's well protected by the wing and cage but I run the ddm dom side pipe on my m/t and have had zero problems with rollover damage. the problem with the cpi pipe is that there's more mods involved. you've got to raise the wing and make custom brackets to mount the cage.

Chief409

Surprised that the VRC side pipe is protected by the roll cage and wheels in most cases. Yeah, it can be dinged if you hit something sideways, I tried to minimize that with the gauge of metal I used for the front mount. Someday, there might be Nerf bars available. I now have a carbon fiber extension for the right splash guard to clear the belt drive cover, haven't installed it yet, but it should help a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts