• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Walbro WT 990

G-Man

I have a walbro 990 carb on my zenoah engine. It has been great for the past 6 months. On day I ran a half a tank of gas and shut it off to run another rc. Came back to restart the engine as I always do. I noticed there was no fuel in the primer bulb, so I pushed it 3-4 times and it wouldn't fill again. So I'm guessing the carb needs rebuilt. My question is, Does the entire carb need torn down and rebuilt or can I replace the gaskets/diaphragms only to resolve this issue? I have never rebuilt an rc carb so any advice would be appreciated. Oh and I have the fuel tank vented. I also tried to crack the fuel cap thinking maybe my vent valve is clogged. The primer bulb still wouldn't fill. Thanks

designed2survive

@G-Man

It may be as simple as needing a new prime bulb which is easy to replace.

But first I would remove it from the engine (keeping the fuel line connected) and prime it to see if fuel is going through.

Phill

I have a walbro 990 carb on my zenoah engine. It has been great for the past 6 months. On day I ran a half a tank of gas and shut it off to run another rc. Came back to restart the engine as I always do. I noticed there was no fuel in the primer bulb, so I pushed it 3-4 times and it wouldn't fill again. So I'm guessing the carb needs rebuilt. My question is, Does the entire carb need torn down and rebuilt or can I replace the gaskets/diaphragms only to resolve this issue? I have never rebuilt an rc carb so any advice would be appreciated. Oh and I have the fuel tank vented. I also tried to crack the fuel cap thinking maybe my vent valve is clogged. The primer bulb still wouldn't fill. Thanks
Parts are available at DDM but having owned a 990 myself I'd chuck it and put a 668 on

G-Man

Parts are available at DDM but having owned a 990 myself I'd chuck it and put a 668 on
Hahaha. Chuck it. I have a rebuild kit from ddm thanks. I was just wondering if it should be completely torn down or just replace the 2 diaphragms under the primer bulb. I may try a 668 though

G-Man

@G-Man

It may be as simple as needing a new prime bulb which is easy to replace.

But first I would remove it from the engine (keeping the fuel line connected) and prime it to see if fuel is going through.
I have an alloy insulator I've been wanting to put on. Will give me reason. Should I tear the whole carb down and replace every part or ya think just the seals?

Phill

Hahaha. Chuck it. I have a rebuild kit from ddm thanks. I was just wondering if it should be completely torn down or just replace the 2 diaphragms under the primer bulb. I may try a 668 though

If you check the specs the 668 is the same carby but has a choke.
Same bore , venturi etc
Makes life much easier

G-Man

If you check the specs the 668 is the same carby but has a choke.
Same bore , venturi etc
Makes life much easier
I really havn't had any starting problems till now. I don't use a choke anyways. I'm going to take the time to tear it down completely and rebuild it. Walbro has an awesome 20 minute video doing a rebuild in detail. Once I am done with my dunerunner project. I was looking for an easy way out, which in the past has bit me so this dude is doing it right to save pain later lol

fordgtr06

DDM is running a sale on the 990 right now!!! I just ordered one. Did you notice an increase in performance with yours over stock? And are they easy to tune?

G-Man

DDM is running a sale on the 990 right now!!! I just ordered one. Did you notice an increase in performance with yours over stock? And are they easy to tune?
Hey whats up. Yes big increase in performance. I set it at the factory needle settings and pulled it 4 or 5 times and it was idling. I leaned each needle a 1/16 turn give or take after it warmed up. Thanks for the info on the ddm deal BTW. I got one today too as back up. I will put it on my MT and rebuild mine in the meantime

fordgtr06

Hey whats up. Yes big increase in performance. I set it at the factory needle settings and pulled it 4 or 5 times and it was idling. I leaned each needle a 1/16 turn give or take after it warmed up. Thanks for the info on the ddm deal BTW. I got one today too as back up. I will put it on my MT and rebuild mine in the meantime
Great. I'm excited to get it on. What are factory needle settings? I'm sure I could find them in the manual but if you know off the top of your head that would be great. And no problem, I have been checking it everyday hoping they would go on sale. I was about to buy one anyway and saw they were on sale.

G-Man

Great. I'm excited to get it on. What are factory needle settings? I'm sure I could find them in the manual but if you know off the top of your head that would be great. And no problem, I have been checking it everyday hoping they would go on sale. I was about to buy one anyway and saw they were on sale.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1493303995988.jpg
    FB_IMG_1493303995988.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 29

fordgtr06

Thanks G-Man. I out a cpi pipe on my mt. Sounds better. Not as raspy as the redcat tuned pipe.

G-Man

I find 1/8 turns difficult to do so I made it into
Do you use ddm in the coupon code box for 5% off? If not next time. Usually it will take care of shipping or at least helps..

fordgtr06

I find 1/8 turns difficult to do so I made it into

Do you use ddm in the coupon code box for 5% off? If not next time. Usually it will take care of shipping or at least helps..
No I haven't been but I will start. Thanks.

fordgtr06

CPI pipe huh. That is cool!! They aren't made anymore right?
No there not. I found one on eBay that needed brackets made for 50 bucks. So I made some brackets and polished it up.

Attachments

• 20170430_113835.jpg
    20170430_113835.jpg
    283.1 KB · Views: 9

fordgtr06

Looks good man wow!! Almost nobody has one. I think they were a popular secondary choice for the V1 and V2 MT over the jetpro
Yeah it sounds good. Do you have a jet pro on yours? I'd like to get one but I couldn't pass this cpi up for 50 bucks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.