• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Tyre Sizes

Phill

Hi Guys

I was just checking specs for the DR and it says front tyres are 176mm x 65mm

and rears are 170mm x 75mm

Given that the front and rear diffs are the same ratio doesn't that mean that either the front wheels are pulling the back along or the back are dragging against the front?

Thanks

Phill

I thought I put this in DR section but musta messed up

Last edited by a moderator:
G

That doesn't sound right???

Where did you get those specs?

G

I'm curious to see what you come up with for measurements. My guess is that is a misprint.

Phill

RCDAD said:
I'm curious to see what you come up with for measurements. My guess is that is a misprint.
I'm guessing the same cause there's no torque twist like you'd associate with mismatched tyres.

Phill

Well it isn't a misprintMy vernier only goes to 150mm so I used a tape and the difference in diameter is closer to 8mm which also explains the "nose up" stance.Obviously with that much difference the drivetrain is continually fighting against itselfI've enclosed a pic showing the side walls are definitely higherI have a spare pair of fronts so I'll stick them on the back when I get a chance and see what difference it makes

Tyres.jpg

Tyres.jpg

/monthly_2014_03/Tyres.jpg.d7012f1e3eb9448975b45d188a89b8b7.jpg

chapinb

In the crawling world, we call that overdrive and it can be desired. Perhaps the DR was ment to be the first 1/5 scale gas crawler?

Seems odd that this error has been overlooked for so long...

G

Phill said:
Well it isn't a misprintMy vernier only goes to 150mm so I used a tape and the difference in diameter is closer to 8mm which also explains the "nose up" stance.

Obviously with that much difference the drivetrain is continually fighting against itself

I've enclosed a pic showing the side walls are definitely higher

I have a spare pair of fronts so I'll stick them on the back when I get a chance and see what difference it makes
Wow, that's strange. The Dune Runner started out as a 2WD, then grew up to be a 4WD. The fronts don't have much grip so it might not even be noticeable.

G

chapinb said:
Seems odd that this error has been overlooked for so long...
Most guys upgrade to Baja sized wheel and tire combos. That's probably why.

Phill

RCDAD said:
Wow, that's strange. The Dune Runner started out as a 2WD, then grew up to be a 4WD. The fronts don't have much grip so it might not even be noticeable.
Yep the 2WDs run the same tyres

Phill

RCDAD said:
Most guys upgrade to Baja sized wheel and tire combos. That's probably why.
Adapters and wheels along with a body are on the wish list.

Trouble is we just bought another house and the wife doesn't appreciate the postie dropping off parcels at the moment

It's something to do with curtains and stuff

Ebb75

Tell your wife the DR is more important. You can always put your DR in the window but you cant drive your curtains. Lol.

chapinb

Phill said:
Trouble is we just bought another house and the wife doesn't appreciate the postie dropping off parcels at the momentIt's something to do with curtains and stuff
I feel your pain... Im 2 months removed from buy our first house and getting matching drapes seems to be very important to the fairer sex.

Tis why my toys get delivered to work now :rolleyes:

Phill

Just gave it it's first good bash since changing tyres.

With 4 equal sized ones it's a completely different car.

Melted the alloy pipe but I expected that and have a steel one ready to go on.

I think it's time to go Baja hunting !

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts