• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

this is a new one, diff explosion

mooman007uk

Banned
Whilst giving my MT the usual thrashing I did something new in the way of mechanical failure, I thought it was pretty awesome when i stripped it down and discovered the shrapnel, guess it proves the tempering has definitely fixed the diff cup problem. It looks like the pin snapped and shattered the bevel gear which cracked the case

DSC00470.jpg

DSC00474.jpg

DSC00475.jpg

here you can see the diff cup shaft has a groove worn in it but didn't twist, deform or snap...perfect

DSC00479.jpg

Piranha2

Contributor
Seriously, I don't think the ONB ported 28.5cc is the way to go....... :D

yolonda21

Contributor
That exact thing happened to me several times last fall.....

kryptonite

yolonda21 said:
That exact thing happened to me several times last fall.....
mine exploded too. pin sheared right off the drive cup and split the spider gear in 4 pc's as well as cracking the diff case.. i'll look for some pics

pup1970

Moo, you are gonna need to replace your whole truck with as many times as you have taken the screws in and out. Is there any threads left? lol

mooman007uk

Banned
must admit it was a good one, and this is the upgraded pin and cup and I haven't seen an upgrade pin go yet but I could be wrong.

I'll be posting a vid later today of a very big jump, just got loads of topsoil delivered for my back yard and have formed a rather large ramp to hit flat out, I expect some damage on landing even if I get it right:D

kryptonite

here is mine moo.. its the up graded pin that sheared off. didnt break the drive cup, but exploded the diff case.. (these are old pics)

i cant resize the pic.. don't know how.. :mad:

DemonRC

Could it be that the bevel gears are too hard also? I wouldn't doubt it since they are hardened for wear and tear which would make them brittle. Maybe you should try to temper those too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts