• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Spektrum DX3.0 Issues

csp1971

Contributor
Not sure where to start with this one. Went out and ran my Rampage tonight.

I have the following equipment:

killerbee killswitch

s3000 receiver

HPI SFL10 steering servo

Hitec 645MG

Redcat Rampage On/Off switch

Redcat Rampage stock 6v receiver battery

In the middle of a run, I went to turn the vehicle and it just stopped. Engine idled, no steering servo power, no throttle servo power. I looked through the little window and the killswitch was on (solid green) and the bind led was green.

The battery was fully charged before I left.

So I turned off the receiver in the truck, then turned off the transmitter. Walked back to my car, set it down then turned it back on. Everything worked. No glitches, no problems, no nothing.

Started the vehicle back up. Ran it for about 10-15 minutes with no problems. Then suddenly, idling engine, no steering, no throttle (or brake), everything was back to neutral again. Receiver bind led was on and the killswitch led was on. Turned off the receiver switch and the engine died (as it should). Turned off the transmitter.

Put the truck back into my car and drove home. Took it out, turned everything on and had everything back again.

Any ideas? I have two other vehicles using this same transmitter and receivers and have never had any problems with those. I had no problem until my throttle servo died last week. Replaced it with the hitec 645 but I see no problems with the servo at all. Kinda strange.

hamster huey

I never could figure that out with my spektrum. I tried the same receiver in a 5b and MT it would always work for a few minutes, then go to slow motion, than lock out. One time it was in lock out for 2 days?! It worked in my nitro and brushless 1/8 and 1/10 though w/no probs! I tried different batteries, connections, temperatures, different spek transmitters, futaba spektrum module, different servos, rebinding, different environment, and much more, nothing worked so I just got a mx3fg fhss2 and have not had any problems since. The theory around the net is spektrum doesn't work with 1/5 gasoline.

csp1971

Contributor
I just did a rebind on my receiver/transmitter. I'm going to run again tomorrow and see what happens. I'm not close to any overhead lines, I'm basically in a giant field with a school, church, and houses nearby.

I wonder if I didn't set the failsafe when I did a bind initially. Although I would think that if the failsafe did kick on, the engine would die (killerbee kill switch). And it never died, it just idled.

Do I have to set the failsafe to turn off the kill switch? I think it would shutoff automatically. I guess that's my next question.

csp1971

Contributor
I just found the answer to my question:

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=764232&postcount=1

YES, you have to set the 3rd channel. I'm a dumbass. I never have done that. Explains why the engine remained on idle.

I may send the receiver back to Spektrum and have them check it out. Like I said, I've never had a problem with the Spek until just tonight with the Rampage. I bought the Receiver used, so maybe I picked up a screwed up one.

csp1971

Contributor
That may be what I do for the Rampage. I noticed last night that my receiver is an sr3000 from 2004. I purchased my radio in 2007. There is a possibility that the programming might be different, maybe a software issue, hopefully there is something that Spektrum can do to adjust it. If it requires me to send my whole radio back, transmitter and receiver, it'll have to happen over the winter and I'll have to pick up a Futaba. I'm going to call them today and find out.

csp1971

Contributor
Talked to Horizon Hobby. They recommend sending it in to be checked. So shipping to them 8 bucks, then having them repair or check it.....$15 bucks minimum, then have them ship it back....over 30 bucks at this point. 169 for a Futaba at Tower......or 149 for an Airtronics......

Not sure what I'll do yet. I'm going to try again tonight hopefully and then run my Baja in the same location. Hopefully I don't get failsafe'd on both.

Pete379

I've used spekys for the whole time I've been involved with 1/5 scale and never really had any issues. The only problem I've had was every once in a great while I would lose my bind for no apparent reason. I would go through the whole bind process again and everything would be fine and back to normal, its weird. I finally bought a 3pk so we'll see how it works out over time.

csp1971

Contributor
This is my first issue with it which is really frustrating. I'll try again tonight though. If I still have a problem, then I'll be going to a Futaba.

DemonRC

Airtronics MX3 is a good radio I never had problems with it and since I gave it to my friend he hasn't had a problem either. It's reliable and has great range. I run a Futaba 3PK now and I can say I love it. It'd pick it over the M11 anyday. If I were going to get something in the $150ish range I'd pick the MX3 over the Futaba 3PM. Both perform flawlessly, however, IMO the MX3 looks better. Plus the stub antenna on the MX3 cannot break.

csp1971

Contributor
I ordered a Futaba last night. I'm not fussing with that Spektrum receiver. I may just send in the receiver to Horizon and see if they actually find a problem with it. Looks like I'll be replacing all of my spektrums with Futaba eventually.

hamster huey

There are quite a few versions of the mx3 that I know of: synthesized fm, fm, fhss1, and fhss2 and probably a few more. For 2.4 I have tried 3pk w/spektrum, dx2+2.0, dx3+3.0, dx3r, losi, traxxas, and mx3fhss2 and I think thats it. Im sticking w/traxxas for the 1/8 revo bl edition, 1/16 vxl and fhss2 for the 1/8 E8t, 1/8 E8b and fhss2 for rampage mt, TT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts