• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Slow launching, clutch problem?

martijn1974

Hi,

My RedCat MT is a very very slow accelerator. It really has trouble getting to speed form a standstill.

It has the feeling of pulling up in second (or even third) gear. Or as if the brakes are stuck....

I can easily hold the truck's rearbumper with 1 indexfinger, and go full on the throttle...it's staces in it's place.

When I drive up a sloap without enough speed the Ramp will stall, but the engine will be revving reluctantly. There is not enough torque to turn the wheels.

First I thought it had to do with the engine still breaking in, but now even after tuning the carb. it still makes no difference.

In high rev's the truck drive's well, but can only take soft terrain (loose sand) or sloaps with enough speed/momentum.

Things i've checked:

The brake is not stuck, when I push the Ramp by hand it rolls fine, also when driving at high speed and releasing the throttle it rolls out according to what you'd expect.

Every wheel is truning freely, no excessive friction in the drivetrain.

All parts, bearings and gears are free of debree and possible obstuctors.

I have mounted the upgrade gearplate and clutchbell.

Truck setup: Stock, 23cc CY engine.

Some pics to show, maybe you see something I don't.

Maybe someone has an idea, because I don't at the moment.

forist

Contributor
hello martijn it sounds like the clutch spring is getting bad, i went to my buddy's yesterday and his spring broke it did kinda the same thing. Not enough tension left by the sounds of what u say. Clutch opening to soon hope this helps u good luck.

martijn1974

forist said:
hello martijn it sounds like the clutch spring is getting bad, i went to my buddy's yesterday and his spring broke it did kinda the same thing. Not enough tension left by the sounds of what u say. Clutch opening to soon hope this helps u good luck.
How durable is a RedCat, the Ramp has ran about 1 and a half tank of fuel...

It's a nice truck, but I'm about to question if it's realy thát good...

I've ran my former FG for two years before breaking it's first stock part (diff.cup).

The RedCat has allready broken a diff.cup, steeringservo, and now probarbly a worn out clutchspring... all within 2,5 hours runtime.

Well ok, I have to visit the LHS anyway for the servos, I quess a spring is now added to the list.

(now slightly agitated).

Luckily I still have this bad boy to play with. :D

Martijn.

martijn1974

mooman007uk said:
are you still running the long stinger on the pipe it kills performance and gut the can or use an fg one...
Could you please rephrase what you said, I'm not shure I understand it completly.

Do you mean that I have to ditch the bent end pipe of the exhaust, and replace it for a straighter Fg one?!

And what do you mean by 'gut the can' ? Empty the damper (black box thingy) ? that's allready empty, right?!

(feeling very stupid now :eek: )

But as for my primary problem, the clutch. I understand that I have to buy a spring that needs more RPM to engage, say 7500 or 8000 rpm spring.

So technicly speaking the problem is that the clutch now engages to fast. Therefore the engine can't generate enough torque to accelerate.

AlvaSpeed

"So technicaly speaking the problem is that the clutch now engages to fast. Therefore the engine can't generate enough torque to accelerate."

I think that this is your problem.

The clutch shoes look ok.

If the clutch was slipping it would be kind of dark color.

Worst escenario is that the metal on the shoes turns blue from the heat.

Change the spring and try again.

martijn1974

mooman007uk said:
the spring will make a notable difference.
Yes the long aluminum tube at the back robs power, the exhaust can has a screen inside which needs to be pulled out...better yet use an FG exhaust can, i used one to start with on a 28.5cc and it improved the power over the standard can...but it exits at the side and burnt a hole in the body
I could mount a FG can, and use the monster piping, so that it still ends at the rear.

kryptonite

hey martin. it sounds typical of the stock 23. i would get rid of the stinger all together and not put anything on there. that stock 23 is a dog. way under powered for the MT tires. it does look like sand got in the clutch cousing it to feel like it was slipping maybe. the clutch spring isnt really broken, but just engaging too soon. the 8k spring will help, but a headkit and pipe is your best bet. your fg has a way better mill then the cy motor(wich is standard in most rigs) also the 4wd makes it seem slower then it really is off the line. the 23 is just way under powered for the MT.

GUTTING the can: there is packing inside the stock can exhoust. if you pull it out it will make a little diffrence. putting any type of stinger on the ehoust will slow it down off the line(even your fg).. a tuned pipe will do wonders for your little 23.. i'll find you a vid of a stock ramp with a side dom..

this is one of ouyr members vids. its a stock 23cy with a side dom pipe.. that pipe is no joke!!

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

the X-can. i put one on my MT and i noticed a small amount of low end power. the motor was still pretty flat from the bottom to the top, the long stingers rob power. they(stingers) also rattle off and its a pain trying to get them to stay on. i took the stingers off to get faster throttle responce, but now it is soo loud i don't even like to run it. the Xcan cost $79 + $10 for the stingers. your power increase wont be that much eather. unfortanitly, a decant pipe will run about $150 or so. but they are worth every penny. more power, higher revs and a noticable power band. plus they crackle like little 2 stroke dirt bikes.. the x-can isnt bad, but i wish i saved for a side dom for the mt.

martijn1974

Thanx for the review.

I would expect more from it, but I guess looks don't say everything.

Really I don't find those snake like sidepipes very nice to see... and if they make the same noise as the ones on a Baja 5B ..H*ll no. That gives me a headache within 5 minutes.

I like the heavyer sound. like on these pipes

But these aren't really performance increasers...

As for the Ramp, it needs a powerboost.

O well, I'll have to wait and see what the new clutchspring does.

kryptonite

ya, those fg pipes have a diffrent sound. kind of quiet. the X-can is really one of the louder set-ups. so stay clear of that if your not into that. you'll get a small amount from the clutch spring, but your still working with the little cy23.. you can also put a big bore headkit on it. a 28.5 will give you ALOT more power and they cost about the same as an X-can($79.00). there an easy install too. or a zenoah 27.2 will be even better as you see the diffrence in your fg motor(it revs like mad!)you can still keep the stock "gutted" can to keep it quiet. and now that i know whats guiding your decision, you should seriously check out the stock 5t can. they look just like the one you have, but they are much bigger(larger chamber) and give the same performance as as the X-can if not more, but are pretty quiet. plus they only cost $50.00. here are some links

notice the size diffrence? not bad

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5475/.f

and here is the headkit.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4166/.f

you can also get a race ported headkit for anly a few more shells.

martijn1974

kryptonite said:
you'll get a small amount from the clutch spring, but your still working with the little cy23.. you can also put a big bore headkit on it. a 28.5 will give you ALOT more power and they cost about the same as an X-can($79.00).
I wasn't getting my hopes up to high about the spring.. as you say it's still a 23cc.

Since everybody advises me a headkit I've been looking into that. Here in The Netherlands we have a bigscale tuner and he offers this set.

It's a 27cc headkit wich can still go on the stock crank.

Quote site:

27 cc PPH™ tuning kit for all Pitstop Power™, Zenoah G230/G260, (no G2D!), HPI Fuelie and CY engines with 28 mm stroke crank. More power and better cooling trough the large alloy head. Set contents; cylinder, cylinder head, dome, piston, piston ring, piston rod, pistonrod springs, center disks, and all mounting materials.

kryptonite said:
and now that i know whats guiding your decision, you should seriously check out the stock 5t can. they look just like the one you have, but they are much bigger(larger chamber) and give the same performance as as the X-can if not more, but are pretty quiet. plus they only cost $50.00. here are some links
notice the size diffrence? not bad

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5475/.f

and here is the headkit.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4166/.f

you can also get a race ported headkit for anly a few more shells.
I'm not looking for sheer power, as for example I'm very satisfied with my stock FG. But the Ramp is heavyly underpowered and needs some tuning.

That 5B can sounds like something I would like to put on my Ramp, together with the headkit described above.

I had my can off the ramp and went to gut it out...but there is really nothing in it. If I look through the port I can see through the pipe, it's just hollow.

Maybe it's different for Europe...

martijn1974

Okay... and this? 30.5cc head-kit

Quote site:

This VersionII kit guarantee a high standard, quality and reliability. Set contents; +2 mm stroker crank, 28/36 mm cylinder, 1 mm cylinder base gasket, 36 mm piston, flex piston ring, pistonbearing, gudgeon and gudgeon clips. This kit fits all Pitstop Power™, CY, Zenoah G230/260 and HPI Fuelie engines. Special for Monster cars with big wheels because of the very extreme high torque.

roccos_van

Oh yeah, and go with the 30.5, that's what i have...torque is more important than hp/rpm when running the MT.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

i agree. that billit head is a problem waiting to happen. its odd that it says it cools better, couse that is there main problem.. the 30.5 is a good motor with gobs of torque. 5t can it is!!

martijn1974

Well, I've got the can.

My LHS has lent me this one to test, if it doesn't satisfy me I can return it and get a full refund...even if it's (obviously) used.

And I will test drive it this weekend. I haven't even heard it yet...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts