• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Run away twice

rickcrashers

Hi I have a rampage xt. Wasat an idle all of a sudden it took off wide open. Finally flipped over Iran to it turned it off. White smoke was pouring out of throttle servo and trying g to bend linkage. Replaced servo with Jr 126 oz metal gear did same thing after two tanks of fuel. This time hit a tree broke a lot of stuff . What is causing this.....any idea truck a little over a month old. Have two truck only problem is with this one???????

andyken

1st thing, buy a remote engine kill switch !

A dead battery or some thing wrong with the radio rx/tx?

Is the failsafe set?

I had a bad antenna connection on the rx, but had a remote kill sw.

Ice_2k

Run away twice

Sounds like your rx failsafe might be set to accelerate instead of brake. Try this: while rx and tx are on (keep engine off), turn off the tx and see what the throttle servo does. It should apply brakes as soon as you turn off the tx. Second, especially since you don't know yet what's causing it to runaway, you really-really need to get a remote kill switch so you can turn off the engine remotely.

rickcrashers

Yes I checked failsafe when turn off transmitter applies the brakes. I have two truck only one has done this. Over 100 dollars in damage the last time. Not including body. Afraid of these trucks now. Both servos are junk now. Battery was fully charged. Truck is only a month old.

rickcrashers

What type of remote kill will work with factory 2channel radio. Look at changing to spektrum radio but can not afford it. Could have purchased a Losi if I have to buy new radio system...

Ice_2k

rickcrashers said:
Yes I checked failsafe when turn off transmitter applies the brakes. I have two truck only one has done this. Over 100 dollars in damage the last time. Not including body. Afraid of these trucks now. Both servos are junk now. Battery was fully charged. Truck is only a month old.
If both servos are now damaged, it could be there's a problem with your receiver which is damaging them. As far as kill switches go, there are pretty much two options: the Ramtech-RC (from RampageHopUps here on the forum, about 25$ if I remember correctly) or a more expensive one (about 60$) from K iller RC. The main advantage of the expensive one is that it works even with no power (e.g. if your battery becomes disconnected or if for some reason the rx no longer supplies power to the kill switch). I would also change the RX if I were you as it feels like a plausible source for your problems. Or better yet, take the rx from your other truck and drive it like that for a while to see if it happens again. But whatever you do, get a kill switch first. Your next issue might end up hitting someone, not to mention more damage to your truck.

talunceford

Ice_2k said:
If both servos are now damaged, it could be there's a problem with your receiver which is damaging them. As far as kill switches go, there are pretty much two options: the Ramtech-RC (from RampageHopUps here on the forum, about 25$ if I remember correctly) or a more expensive one (about 60$) from K iller RC. The main advantage of the expensive one is that it works even with no power (e.g. if your battery becomes disconnected or if for some reason the rx no longer supplies power to the kill switch). I would also change the RX if I were you as it feels like a plausible source for your problems. Or better yet, take the rx from your other truck and drive it like that for a while to see if it happens again. But whatever you do, get a kill switch first. Your next issue might end up hitting someone, not to mention more damage to your truck.
I second the Superbee suggestion. Don't take the chance with a 40lb rocket going across the ground at high speed. First upgrade I made on mine.

designed2survive

rickcrashers said:
Afraid of these trucks now.
Afraid???? Listen I don't want to sound like a jerk but... seriously don't even remotely get close to your truck before you install a kill switch. You are playing with your health and worse the health of others around you. This is no joke!

Last edited by a moderator:

rickcrashers

ordered

thanks guys just order a remote kill from ramtech on ebay. going put it on the good truck, need more parts before i invest in one for the truck that ran away, needs to get drive cups, diff cups, servo, chassis, body, front dog bone, ect. before I can worry about kill switch for it. It is a shame the local hobby store never told me about remote kill, until I had a runaway truck, LESS THAN A MONTH OLD, RUN AWAY AND DESTROY ITSELF, WASTED 569.00 PLUS TAX..

STILL HAVE ONE GOOD ONE IT WAS PURCHACED 1 WEEK BEFORE SECOND TRUCK. WILL NOT RUN ANYMORE UNTIL REMOTE KILL GETS HERE, HURRY UP RAMTECH AND THE USPS...LOL MISS MY TRUCKS.

alfred e numan

rx Antennathe rx antenna where it goes tru the rx box opening should be glued with a flexable glue-- the antenna is 2 wires. its called a dipole type antenna. where these 2 wires are soldered to the printed circut board are the weak point. if the wires break off the p-c board and slide into the p-c board and short out, the fail safe and the kill switch could become useless. total out of control run away. Yes, in the event you lose power - lose signal- low battery voltage- ect, the kill switch will do its job and shut off the ignition. nothing is 100% perfect.

ARROWS SHOW GLUE POINTS 001.jpg

ARROWS SHOW GLUE POINTS 001.jpg

/monthly_2013_03/583c6073971cf_ARROWSSHOWGLUEPOINTS001.jpg.df83079317146c36f3ed882739970834.jpg

designed2survive

alfred e numan said:
Yes, in the event you lose power - lose signal- low battery voltage- ect, the kill switch will do its job and shut off the ignition. nothing is 100% perfect.
I get your point but if you read the above in bold, you still have control as you can just turn off the receiver.

alfred e numan

out of control

If the antenna wire breaks off the circut trace on the p-c board as you see in the less than sharp photo - and moves towards the solid state chips - shorts out, you will have no steering- throttle- kill switch- fail safe. all you will be able to do is watch the r-c run away. This happened to me. Now, if the xb were a little bit smaller and not 3/4 throttle, Spank could have caught the car before it went the leingth of a foot ball field - clips a concrete barrier, launches about 9 feet high, sails across a narrow dirt road, and lands in a bunch of sticker bushes with the engine reving out like a crazed indian. - oh, spank is my dog.-- he is a good boy, but likes to fight. thought about having him nutered as a pup, but-- he gets loose every now and then, comes home at daylight, not as many cats round here as there used to be-- ---

alfred e numan

spank--- lol.this town has these munckin legged cats with 6 toes. the locals seem to think these inbred cats are some kinda new breed. dogs have a 6th sense, spank knows these crossed eyed poor creatures need to be put out of there inbred misery. a singular crunch to the head does the trick. here are 3 of spanks pardners in crime-- told spank to stay away from them- i am getting tired of baling him out of the towns doggy jail. still surprised the dog catcher never figured out his dog tags are fake. made them myself, too cheap to buy the real ones.--------

SPANK IN JAIL.jpg

thumbnail pilot rock hound dogs.jpg

SPANK IN JAIL.jpg

thumbnail pilot rock hound dogs.jpg

/monthly_2015_11/583c607398071_SPANKINJAIL.jpg.a79e4b1aef395a096d46219f4a60f64e.jpg

/monthly_2015_11/583c607398ec5_thumbnailpilotrockhounddogs.jpg.895f444a1ff00f8baf8be38a4ff3a9cf.jpg

alfred e numan

mt vrs a guys wife

years ago on this site-- there was a guy from AU jumping his mt. his wife was hit on the right side if her rib cage - the mt was airorne when it hit her. the guy posted photos of her that were taken at the hospital--- it was very ugly. her entire side was black & blue- red from broken blood vessels, cracked ribs-- Myself-- i had a adult female pitbull jump a fence while i was absoluty going wfo on a slight down hill on pavement with a pumped up xb. zero time to stop- certany was not going to pitch the car sideways and start flipping it on asphalt- i just held the car wfo and nailed the dog dead center. bent the front shock tower back-- cart wheeled the dog about one full revolution before it hit the asphalt. i pulled the car off to the side of the road, shut it off, walked over to the stunned dog, had to pick it up - place it over the fence.-- the dog was limping for a few days-- had the xb fixed that same evening-- never jumped the fence agan-- gee? i wonder why????

BertR

alfred e numan said:
years ago on this site-- there was a guy from AU jumping his mt. his wife was hit on the right side if her rib cage - the mt was airorne when it hit her. the guy posted photos of her that were taken at the hospital--- it was very ugly. her entire side was black & blue- red from broken blood vessels, cracked ribs-- Myself-- i had a adult female pitbull jump a fence while i was absoluty going wfo on a slight down hill on pavement with a pumped up xb. zero time to stop- certany was not going to pitch the car sideways and start flipping it on asphalt- i just held the car wfo and nailed the dog dead center. bent the front shock tower back-- cart wheeled the dog about one full revolution before it hit the asphalt. i pulled the car off to the side of the road, shut it off, walked over to the stunned dog, had to pick it up - place it over the fence.-- the dog was limping for a few days-- had the xb fixed that same evening-- never jumped the fence agan-- gee? i wonder why????
I bet that little bugger ran and hid every time you fired up the xb lol. I tried to stay absent from this thread but 2 run a ways is 2 too many!! If the kill isn't working correctly it won't get started.. I remember your mess you was left with all on the account of a bad antenna wire but not having a kill installed is pushing it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts