• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Problems with gears

helinutandy

Hello,

I purchased a new RAMPAGE XR RALLY GAS from my local hobby shop. I purchased it about two weeks ago. It took me almost 2 hours to finally start the car. When I finally started it I drove it for a minute and all of the transmission gears stripped out. :mad: :mad:

After checking the screws on the motor I could see the motor was loose. I just looked up the price of the gears and they are close to $90 for the set. Is it even worth replacing the gears or are they just going to strip out again? I babied the vehicle on its first and only run and I am pissed to see this happen. Also, where can I purchase slicks for the car?

Tia,

Andy

Ice_2k

First of all, you should always check all screws and even loctite them if you have the patience. These things vibrate a lot, it's the nature of the beast and this causes screws to become loose. Regarding the gears, if I remember correctly the XR comes with the plastic gear plate, which let's face it, is never gonna hold. It's gonna get hot, it will melt, the gears will move around and strip each other. You need to upgrade to the aluminium gear plate. (i think it's this one)

helinutandy

Thank you for the link and advice. I've been flying rc helicopter for a few years now and I am familiar with vibrations. I use loctite when building(even electric models) but I was hoping that RedCat did this when they assembled to buggy. I guess not.

Thx again,

Andy

andyken

I think the MT gear plate will fit and has larger bearings. I would also look into the belt drive, much quieter and I've run the same belt for two years now on my XB.

helinutandy

Would you happen to have a link on how to convert it to a belt? I am having a hard time just finding some slicks....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online