• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My gas cap venting

forist

Contributor
This is how I have my gas cap vented thought i would post it up hope it helps some others with gas tank vent probs. i bought the filter on ebay is is one way filter so you don't have to worry about the gas coming back out on a roll over. Hope this helps.

nanoali

good work. thanks for sharing. have you the link to that one way filter?

powerslave69

question

forist said:
This is how I have my gas cap vented thought i would post it up hope it helps some others with gas tank vent probs. i bought the filter on ebay is is one way filter so you don't have to worry about the gas coming back out on a roll over. Hope this helps.

what do you have at the other of the hose and why do we need to do this? I have an XT. If it is a must, then I'll do it. What problem will this mod fix? thanks.

forist

Contributor
Some times dirt/dust ect... will build up on or in the breather hole on the gas cap, or the rubber thing inside the cap will go bad and cause the tank to build up pressure in the tank. After a bit of running your motor will lose power. This happens to some of us but not all of us. Just something to look out for :) The thing on the end of the hose in a one way filter lets air in but will not let gas back out.

powerslave69

drilling

forist said:

Opened my gas cap and inside I noticed a soft rubber inside the cap. do I drill through this rubber to make the vent? Thanks.

powerslave69

Hate being a newbie!

rpking said:
nice job!!!
Ok, I give up. I don't know where to start to make this gas cap vent and just take the risk of being ignoramus. But can you just tell me exactly where I can buy the parts for this vent, perhaps a link to each one. I have a friend who owns an XB and he just called me and he said his car all of a sudden just stop running and doesn't know where to look. when he opened the gas cap to see if there's enough fuel in the tank, he heard a hissing sound, kinda like a person burping :D and I told I'm working on installing a vent. Went to DDM and boought some colored fuel hose. But I'm not sure which fitting to get and how can I make it stay in place and do I need to seal around the fitting? Do I drill through the dome looking rubber? You'd be helping two desparate newbies if I can get some advice. thanks.

cordy

Here is my vent on my xb. I used a dubro fuel nipple(10/32). I drilled a pilot hole in the gas cap,then threaded the niple in and used fuel tubing to vent. 100_0271.jpg Hope this helps your hobby shop will have the part`s. Good luck.

forist

Contributor
I just used a gas fitting off a old carb (copper) and drilled the hole in the gas cap bigger for the fitting (NOT TO BIG THO!!!!). You want to make sure it fits tight, and it will not leak. I took all the rubber pieces out of the cap except for the one that seals the cap, cuz you don't need them with the one way filter.

this is the filter I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-WAY-FUEL-FILTER-W-PRIMER-HPI-BAJA-5B-5T-FUELIE-/170610467327?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b92d21ff

Here is some fittings I found on ebay that will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RJX-Copper-Pressure-Fitting-4x3mm-2pcs-RC-Helicopters-/270727421741?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f089c9f2d

It is a easy mod to do the hardest part is finding what you want to use to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerslave69

thank you!

forist said:
I just used a gas fitting off a old carb (copper) and drilled the hole in the gas cap bigger for the fitting (NOT TO BIG THO!!!!). You want to make sure it fits tight, and it will not leak. I took all the rubber pieces out of the cap except for the one that seals the cap, cuz you don't need them with the one way filter.
this is the filter I bought.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ONE-WAY-FUEL-FILTER-W-PRIMER-HPI-BAJA-5B-5T-FUELIE-/170610467327?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27b92d21ff

Here is some fittings I found on ebay that will work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/RJX-Copper-Pressure-Fitting-4x3mm-2pcs-RC-Helicopters-/270727421741?pt=Radio_Control_Vehicles&hash=item3f089c9f2d

It is a easy mod to do the hardest part is finding what you want to use to do it.
Picture this....2 clueless 5th scale newbies working on installing gas cap vents for an XT and XB. Ordered the fitting you showed us and bought some colored fuel hose from DDM and arguing what drill bit to use. Now, they're twiddling their thumbs waiting for the parts to come in and badmouthing alaska coz' it takes too long for anything to arrive :D Solution? We're playiing RC car simulator right now hoping parts will come in faster than expected. Yeah, but if that is true, then it's also true that a monkey gonna come out of my butt soon!! :D hehe

powerslave69

here's our version of your mod...

Here's our version of your gas cap VENT mod. It's only half way done since we're still waiting for the one way fuel filter to come in. We forgot to order 3 of 'em and it's coming all the way from Singapore too. I was gonna take a pic of my XT and my other friend's XB. But the wifey freaked out and yelled "NO! Not in my living room!" when she saw both of them covered in mud. Gee, I thought it was "OUR" living room. :D But she was kind enough to let us bring our new soooo cherry XT so we can take some photos. This puppy looks so clean it's almost a sin. BUT NOT FOR LONG!! We talked him into installing one and be done with it. Thanks forist for this great and very helpful idea.

View attachment 3938

View attachment 3939

Last edited by a moderator:

forist

Contributor
Just got back from vacation (mushroom hunting) glad the cap venting worked out for you. It only took a week for the filter to mailed to me in Michigan so they are on top of there shipping. Hopefully it will not take to long for them to get you yours.

powerslave69

linked them out

forist said:
Just got back from vacation (mushroom hunting) glad the cap venting worked out for you. It only took a week for the filter to mailed to me in Michigan so they are on top of there shipping. Hopefully it will not take to long for them to get you yours.
I took the liberty and gave several members having the same issues your link and, of course told them all credits goes to you coz' this was your project and that we just cloned your idea to fix our problem. hope to return the favor someday :D

jeffp83

Nice work on the vents, they all look great! I did a vent on mine as well through the cap, very similar to yours but with just a filter on the end. Problem is that when I'm running normally (no roll overs even) pressure builds up and gas leaks out of the filter (is this normal?).

I've removed the check valve from inside the gas cap, just running the rubber seal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts