• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My first seize!

jeffp83

CYseize2.jpg

CYseize1.jpg

CYseize3.jpg

The dents on top of the piston are from the hammer job I had to do to get it out of the cylinder lol.

Attachments

• CYseize3.jpg
    CYseize3.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

Trip..

That's not from running the tank dry. You have/had other problems that caused the seizure. I run 50:1 and I've ran out of fuel at full throttle many times and never had a problem. What does the plug look like?

jeffp83

Plug indicated a lean setting, which I thought was because of the tank drying up. This was after about 40 minutes of full throttle runs in 30+C weather.

jeffp83

Hmmm... was I running too lean or was it the darksoul/marine setup running too hot? I figured it was because I was doing 16+k on fumes lol. I've never blown a 2-stroke before.

G

Too lean man. I run my tanks dry every outing. I don't like to leave fuel in them.

Sorry. I guess you have a good reason to upgrade.

jeffp83

Ok thanks guys. I just figured i ran it out and it burned up. It was running the same way for ages.

jeffp83

RCDAD said:
Sorry. I guess you have a good reason to upgrade.
thanks! On to my next engine. Lesson learned! :)

Obeast44

Banned
jeffp83 said:
Hmmm... was I running too lean or was it the darksoul/marine setup running too hot? I figured it was because I was doing 16+k on fumes lol. I've never blown a 2-stroke before.
That could have been a contributing factor. The DS heads are known to run a tad on the warm side.

jeffp83

I noticed the ds marine setup always ran hot but never ran into a problem until now.I did read some stuff about them not lasting long though. Anyways, i will put the blame on myself. I was thinking about going to a 4 bolt.

jeffp83

I did use thermal paste but there is a big enough gap between the heatsink and the cylinder that it wouldn't do anything at all.

TerraKill

that looks like a heat seziure to me, seen pistons and barrels go like that many times on MX bikes on very hot track days.(common problem my honda cr125, i need bigger rads on tht bike, or i got a blockage i cba to sort)

and if you was running lean aswell, well..... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffp83

I checked the settings on my carb (668) after I got it apart... just over 1.5 on the high and 1.25 on the low. I think that's around stock settings?

Trip..

Carb settings mean very little. You could have the needles out 3 turns but if you have an air leak, it will still run lean.

G

Yeah, that is the base setting which should be rich. Air leaks can also cause a lean seize.

jeffp83

Trip.. said:
Carb settings mean very little. You could have the needles out 3 turns but if you have an air leak, it will still run lean.
True... i'm kind of scratching my head now as to what happened. I am for sure that I didn't have an airleak as I know what the engine sounds like when that happens. Going to grab a new carb as well, just in case. Maybe I will just go back to nitro, this may sound crazy but i've had less problems with those little engines than I have had with gas (plating failures, gasket blowouts, bad bearings and now a seize) lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts