• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT into Losi 5ive fighter

electro21

Slimneill said:
How many battery packs do you have for a 1/5 scale electric? It must take hours to charge enough batteries to go driving for 45 min?
It really depends on the batteries you buy and where you're driving. I can get 15 minutes on a track, but i only get 6 minutes in mud. Some batteries (with at least a 3C charge rate) can be charged in 15 - 20 minutes. Usually I don't play for 45 minutes at a time, but I also can charge more than battery at a time (most electric racers I know do too), so I (we) don't have to worry about super long charging times.

When I go to the track, 9 times out of 10, it's the racers with the gas engines who are having troubles. While it does take time to charge batteries, most racers have 1 or 2 sets charged before they arrive and place another set on the charger when they get to the track. I personally have never seen an electric racer who didn't have their battery ready when it was time for them to race. However, I've seen a few gas racers who had some type of engine problem (can't get it started, can't keep it started, or just don't know what is causing the problem).

In my experience, electric 1/5th scale is more expensive up front, but the total cost of ownership of the gas vehicles seem to be more down the road (and a short one at that).

Ice_2k

electro21 said:
When I go to the track, 9 times out of 10, it's the racers with the gas engines who are having troubles. While it does take time to charge batteries, most racers have 1 or 2 sets charged before they arrive and place another set on the charger when they get to the track. I personally have never seen an electric racer who didn't have their battery ready when it was time for them to race. However, I've seen a few gas racers who had some type of engine problem (can't get it started, can't keep it started, or just don't know what is causing the problem).In my experience, electric 1/5th scale is more expensive up front, but the total cost of ownership of the gas vehicles seem to be more down the road (and a short one at that).
I think this is because there is a steeper learning curve with gas engines, they're not "plug'n'play" like the electrics. However, their realism is quite attractive and many people get them without really knowing too much about gas engines, which always ends up in non starting engines, non idling engines and so on. I was in this exact situation a few months ago, didn't know pretty much anything about how 2 stroke engines work but I wanted one, because of the realism they bring to the car. I had my fair share of not being able to start it, incorrect tune and so on. After a lot of (probably annoying) questions on this forum, now I'm pretty sure of what I'm doing. Every time in the last 3-4 months I took the car out, I needed the same 5-6 pulls to get it started each time, never had the engine stop when I didn't want it to, never had any problems. All the problems I had in the beginning were caused by me not knowing what I was doing.

Now, regarding the running cost, I'm not sure about that either. I have an electric 8th scale that had a very "fun" problem... the steering servo had a short, it went to the ESC and the ESC fried the motor. The cost of replacing the ESC and the motor is higher than an entire engine from OBR for my 5th scale...

kev0175

I was thinking of a way to stretch the MT. For the front I was thinking the rear dogbone could be used and for the rear ....... Haven't got that far

electro21

Ice_2k said:
I think this is because there is a steeper learning curve with gas engines, they're not "plug'n'play" like the electrics...Now, regarding the running cost, I'm not sure about that either. I have an electric 8th scale that had a very "fun" problem... the steering servo had a short, it went to the ESC and the ESC fried the motor. The cost of replacing the ESC and the motor is higher than an entire engine from OBR for my 5th scale...
I agree that there is a steeper learning curve and there are just also more components to deal with (Engine, starter - pull or drill, plugs, etc.) versus electric (ESC and motor). To me there are just less things that can go wrong.

Regarding your "fun" problem...ouch!!! Talk about bad luck!!!

kev0175 said:
I was thinking of a way to stretch the MT. For the front I was thinking the rear dogbone could be used and for the rear ....... Haven't got that far
I'm talking with Kershaw Designs about making the MT about the same size as the Losi 5T (and if I can afford it, lol) . I know he can help with making the chassis and the rest of the components whatever size you need.

Slimneill

I'm the same way, I didn't know anything about the 2 stroke gas engines, now I can keep it running pretty good.

For me if I want to run it on a realistic track/ area it's a 20min drive to the sand dunes. So better power was find for playing in the front yard. I took both the Emaxx and the MT last time we went out. The Emaxx was done in 10 min. The MT ran for over an hour, still on the first tank of fuel until it started to get dark and I rolled it and found that the silicone tube on the stock exhaust had melted and snapped into two pieces. Then we just packed up and came home.

This project is on hold temporarily until I can vinyl wrap my Rapter for an upcoming car show.

tha nemesis

how does that welding hold up to the jumps ..was curious because thats what i was going to do till i got my 1/2 sheet of 6061 that i cut out for my bigger chassis .. as seen in my long awaited video

Flodan

tha nemesis said:
how does that welding hold up to the jumps ..was curious because thats what i was going to do till i got my 1/2 sheet of 6061 that i cut out for my bigger chassis .. as seen in my long awaited video
the welds are fine, no problems. but without the support rods it might not work out. :)

Slimneill

I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering Baka size wheels, adapters and complete 5ive roll cage.

I've been reading up and read that peiople recommend ordering the MT adapters with the 1" offset.

I also read the if I go with offset adapters I can go Baka rear tire size all around.

I have only ever had the MT so I'm wondering if you remove the wheels, is the width across the hub hex'is comparable to the 5ive or dune runner? should I be looking at getting the added offset adapters so that the tires will fit in the losi body correctly?

Is the dune runner narrower then the MT? The specs say the MT is a lot wider but I'm wondering if most of that is the MT monster tires width.

Sorry for the questions but I want to make sure that the tires match the lost roll cage width the first time. This isn't going to be a cheap project so I want to get it right the first time.

Thanks

-Dan

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.