• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT into Losi 5ive fighter

Slimneill

Has anyone tried or know of anyone else trying to extend the MT chassis width and length to match that of the 5ive or Baja SCTs?

I'm very interested, I have CAD and access to a large CNC which could machine a new chassis plate but I'm curious if it's worth the time and material expense.

Is there any interest in this type of a project? I wonder if it could be a competitive lower cost alternative to going full out Losi?

Your thoughts?

Ildy666

I pondered 5he idea also.also have to figure out drive shaft lengths and the chassis to shock tower need braces but I'm interested...

phreerider

Sounds like a cool project with flexible geometry crossover parts are great source of new projects for all. Show what you got. Losi clone, stretched MT , super weight XB , mixed beast are always fun

Phill

I'm working on the wife to get an X2.

It's too big to tell her I've had it in the shed for ages like I normally do with parts etc.

Slimneill

I'm not sure i want to go down the Rovan route. It took me 3 months to get the MT working and i think Redcat is alot better then those brands. From the sounds of it, you need $100s on top of the RTR truck to have a functioning truck. And I've already got the MT. From the looks of things everything on the MT is pretty modular. I would just need to figure out the drive shaft situation.

I've only got the MT to be able to model parts off of. Can anyone help me with modeling the SCT tires and wheels? Does anyone have actual dimensions of Baja/5ive wheels? I'd like to have actual dimensions in the Cad model if possible so i can figure out how wide mt chassis has to be.

You guys have convinced me to at least try and model something up.

Ildy666

If u have the resources I'd say go for it.i always wanted a longer losi 5t style chassis to mount large sc bodies on.if it works out I would be interested in a chassis.

Slimneill

Exactly Ildy666, i was thinking about getting a 5ive roll cage and having to modify it, then it hit me why not make the truck bigger to fit the roll cage. :DSo this is as far as I got tonight. The only thing that I did was extend the chassis by 100mm, so that they had almost the exact same wheel base. The Losi site says that the Wheel base on the 5ive is 24" (609mm) the MT was 510 mm. The wheel base on the MT as you can see from the attached images is now 24.15" (638 mm). I'm not to worried about the 0.15" delta right now. There is still work to be done. Right now in Rev1 I moved everything forward of the center diff and left everything from the diff back stock. So technically the only thing that needs to be changed will be the drive shaft and Brake/Gas Servo rods. The next step will be to make the width match the Losi. (It's still stock suspension components for now.)Then i will mess around with moving the motor/trans forward more center.Here are some pics so far...

Rev1 Isometric View.jpg

Rev1 Right Side View.jpg

Rev1 Top View.jpg

Rev1 Wheel Base Measurment.jpg

Rev1 Isometric View.jpg

Rev1 Right Side View.jpg

Rev1 Top View.jpg

Rev1 Wheel Base Measurment.jpg

/monthly_2015_09/583c607359a32_Rev1IsometricView.jpg.5d61b17dc4fc75079cfae5f3d5cef49e.jpg

/monthly_2015_09/583c60735bb50_Rev1RightSideView.jpg.4fae170327039d5008ca496b70d44866.jpg

/monthly_2015_09/583c60735d3ff_Rev1TopView.jpg.77e3d83a802ad94d29042297e15f8c15.jpg

/monthly_2015_09/583c60735f6f8_Rev1WheelBaseMeasurment.jpg.01f56ab1751204b4f1935f0e85056e69.jpg

Ice_2k

Slimneill said:
So this is as far as I got tonight. The only thing that I did was extend the chassis by 100mm, so that they had almost the exact same wheel base. The Losi site says that the Wheel base on the 5ive is 24" (609mm) the MT was 510 mm. The wheel base on the MT as you can see from the attached images is now 24.15" (638 mm).
can't you use the Dunerunner chassis? Its wheelbase is almost exactly that of the 5ive (610mm)

Slimneill

Doesn't the dune runner use a completely different front end? Towers, arms, steering linkage, tie rods?

Would you need to mix and match parts from a MT and. Dune runner to have one running unit?

I looked at the suspension a little more tonight. I could design up a completely new suspension with different geometry but I think that there is more appeal to be able to use the stock suspension pieces, they are cheaper and easier to get if something breaks.

There are three ways to widen the front and rear track that I can see.

1- space out the suspension pick up points. This would mean that the dog bones may bind with the control arms at full bump/drop. (Will have to model this to see how close they are.

2- make longer upper and lower arms, I'm not a huge fan of aluminum suspension pieces meant to absorb impact.

3- make a longer offset wheel hub adapter for Baja wheels. This could be the simplest approach, the added weight would be lower, dropping the CG a little but it would also be unstrung weight. Which wouldn't be that big of an issue, maybe a little more abuse on the axle bearings.

electro21

Slim, I converted a Redcat Dunerunner to electric and I've been working on converting a3906 E-maxx into the ultimate 1/5th monster truck. The E-maxx worked ok until I used the ~10" demolisher wheels and tires, but I've finally given up on it after years and a lot of $$$. Like you, I'm looking to use the MT as the basis of my ultimate monster truck. Since I can't make my own parts, I'll probably have Kershaw make the MT bigger to match the Demolisher tires. Very interested in how this turns out for you.

Slimneill

My first truck was an Emaxx which is closer to a 1/8 Scale then the 1/10 on the box. I also spent a lot of time and $$$ upgrading it with RPM parts and then going brushless. Once I did that all my LIPOS pouched out. It just felt like a continuous money pit. I didn?t realize how much plastic was on the large Emaxx (which has no metal parts at all) until I saw a much smaller 1/14 scale Losi Mini8 which was half the size and almost as heavy. But truth be told the RPM parts that I added are pretty much bullet proof. Too bad they didn?t make parts for redcats. Now that I got the MT it makes the Emaxx look like a much smaller truck. I have never heard of the demolisher tires until you mentioned them. They are not that much larger than the MT tires; you may find that the MT chassis is large enough for your needs. I?m assuming you don?t have it yet??

I?m hoping that the Gas route will be more enjoyable than batteries for me, as my batteries never lasted that long and as soon as you start having fun you?re forced to stop because you have to go and charge 4 battery packs. I don?t understand why there is this large push in popularity for people to convert these large gas trucks into electric, it seems counter intuitive to me. It seems like you take the already expensive hobby of 1/5 scale and kick it up a notch with super pricey Lipos,ESC and motors lol, but I may be wrong

I?m not going to rush this project; I?m just getting familiar with my MT right now. Besides; I think I need to find a new bash spot as my current spot ( a dirt BMX race track) is still too extreme for the MT, something always breaks before I get through a full tank of fuel. Just like with the Emaxx lol. I spent the last few years designing and building a large scale 4 axis CNC machine for my father. It has a cutting envelope of 5?x8?x12? high. It?s capable of machining pretty much anything up to but not including steel. The 5hp automatic tool change spindle we put on it is meant for heavy duty industrial aluminum and wood machining.

And now I?m looking for fun projects to use the CNC machine for and this seemed like an easy one to start with. My biggest challenge is not having an experience with 1/5th scale parts. Like I don?t really know what the Baja wheel adapters will need to look like or size wise unless I had a pair in my hands. Same goes for a Losi role cage; until I have one I don?t know where the roll cage pickups and interference will be with the MT parts.

electro21

No I don't have the MT yet, but my 1/5th E-maxx was a couple of inches larger than the MT. I thought about just bashing with the MT in its stock configuration, but something larger (as long as it could hold up) would be fun too.

I've haven't owned a gas r/c, just nitro and electric. Now, I won't run anything other than electric. Have you ever owned or driven a 1/5th electric r/c? It's cleaner, and zero maintenance. Most gas and nitro vehicles have a receiver battery or some other battery needed to operate their vehicle, so you still have to stop and wait for a battery to charge at some point (albeit not as often as an electric 1/5th scale). I like the throttle response from an electric motor vs gas or nitro too.

I say take your time and enjoy the truck. I know how easy it is to get sucked up in projects. I'll try to post a clip of my edunerunner running with a Baja clone.

Slimneill

electro21 said:
No I don't have the MT yet, but my 1/5th E-maxx was a couple of inches larger than the MT. I thought about just bashing with the MT in its stock configuration, but something larger (as long as it could hold up) would be fun too. I've haven't owned a gas r/c, just nitro and electric. Now, I won't run anything other than electric. Have you ever owned or driven a 1/5th electric r/c? It's cleaner, and zero maintenance. Most gas and nitro vehicles have a receiver battery or some other battery needed to operate their vehicle, so you still have to stop and wait for a battery to charge at some point (albeit not as often as an electric 1/5th scale). I like the throttle response from an electric motor vs gas or nitro too.

I say take your time and enjoy the truck. I know how easy it is to get sucked up in projects. I'll try to post a clip of my edunerunner running with a Baja clone.
How many battery packs do you have for a 1/5 scale electric? It must take hours to charge enough batteries to go driving for 45 min?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts