• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

LMAO just talked to Redcat Tech Support

crazyfast

I called Redcat to talk to there tech support because I could have sworn they sold assembled diff. assemblies but couldn't find them (turns out they don't).

I told him that I needed new gears because I disconnected the front CVD's to help the truck to turn. He immediately told me I can't do that and wanted to know why I would ever convert a 4x4 to 2x4. "If you wanted a 2wd then you should buy a 2wd". He continued to lecture me on how the XT's have no issues turning in grass (but he did state you have to let off the gas to turn) and said you have to spin the wheels and slide the truck to make it turn sharper/faster (can't do that in grass, in dirt yes). At one point he stated they don't turn while accelerating because of weight transfer to the rear (not true, it's because the servo doesn't have enough torque to fight the pull/force of the front drivetrain!!).

This guy interrupted me everytime I tried to tell him how my truck turned GREAT (even with the J-7 tires) when in 2wd, and then he tried telling me the truck would accelerate a lot slower in 2wd LOL. I started laughing and asked him how often he sees 4x4 drag cars and told him the truck accelerated quicker and even just about pulled the front up because. His response, "NO, I highly doubt that." WHAT A JOKE!!

Side note: RCPITSTOP sells each gear for about $10 cheaper!!

I know I can be stubborn and get defensive at times, so just want to make sure I didn't make a fool of myself LOL. From what I have gathered through others posts, I can't be the only one with this issue.... right?! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Silent_chaos

If you take the same engine, same weight, same truck same everything, but one is a 2wd and the other is a 4wd, The 2wd is faster. Not a lot faster, but faster

As in turning corners, you are correct, the 2wd will turn faster cz of servo/torque in the front drivetrain (thats why its better to have HV servos)

The only difference is that 4wd is much more efficient in handling most terrains, driving it is a lot easier and will not be a drift machine in corners.

I know this bcz once i ran my xb 2wd for 2 days

Deluge

You can adjust steering response by swapping out the diff oil in the front, as well. Thinner oil will increase off power steering. Tightening up the servo saver will help, also. Or adjust your toe in the front. More toe-out will increase steering speed. So you have options built into the vehicle, you just have to play with them a little. Servo speed is only part of the equation.

2WD will accelerate faster because all of the power is going to one diff. The engine power isn't being split between two diffs.

Efficiency is greatly determined by how well you tune your chassis. It's all in the setup.

crazyfast

My diffs have been re-lubed, servo savor is too tight IMO (but gets best results).

Deluge, do you mean play with the camber? Having toe in means the tires are actually turning towards each other instead of forward. Raced lawn mowers pretty competitively yrs back and it was all about getting the right neg. camber.

Can't say I've played with the alignment much. Will try that next. But I just can't get over how much quicker the truck was and drifting was AWESOME!!! Lol

Deluge

You can adjust camber, as well. More negative camber means more steering. When you adjust the camber, it effects the amount of toe you have. So toe has to be adjusted after you've adjusted the camber.

blacksunshine

He said toe out not toe in. And he's right i race nitro truggys and im in the middle of totally re doing my first xb. Losi 5t shocks a most the stock one's suck at best. Camber in and toe in on the rear camber in and toe out in the front. Take that shit they have in the diffs out and i'm going to try 10000 in the front 7000 in the rear to start. Putting a xsc body on it.Hitec servos. I already have the jetpro rear mount 990 walbro carb good 2 stage air filter found a dude in Germany who makes the belt drive. Already got it. Its the same thing rcpitstop was makin awhile back. Body mounts to work on the sc body are on there way aluminum bearing carrier plate is on its way. Everything should be going together middle of next month after everything is here. Final buy will be OBR's full mod 7.5 hp 30.5. And i do believe this bitch will hang with a losi 5t. I will try to post up pictures when i'm done

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts