• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

LED lights

mmbk

whats a good led lights and whats the best way to put it on the tt

is it a good idya to put more lights or dose it drine the bettry faster?

rob142sti

go to sams club, pick up a 2 pack of there freakishly bright 250 lumen flashlights (2 pack for $30 ) unscrew top housing from bottom, solder both to a 9volt battery w/ switch if you prefer, fill housing with hot glue, mount to car.. and you have the brightest setup anyone could ever imagine... just one of those lights is incredibly blinding, but 500 lumens.. haha you can grow alot of green with your rc.. wifes right i gotta grow up

mmbk

Thx guys the bracket sounds good but i gess ill go with rob142sti brilliant idea cuse i was thinking the same :D could you post some photo cheers.

rob142sti

this is how im currently going at it.. these lights are extremely bright. they have warning stickers on them for brightness and you see spots for a good minute in direct exposure.Both lights run on 3 AAA batts. so that 4.5volts each, you will need a on off switch, 9 volt battery connector, soldering iron, wire, hot glue gun. all at radioshack. View attachment 1994 You get 2 of these in a pack for $30 w/o coupon. unscrew the top (reflector) from the base (LED/battery holder) View attachment 1995 Take out battery holder (slides out). Inside, holding the LED board in, is a black plastic retainer. use needle nose and yank that sucker out. then apply a little pressure to get the board out. View attachment 1996 **all the wires go thru the holes and out the back**,(i messed one up in the pic) leave a little lead to solder through the front..Put wires through holes on board, solder up like above, leaving enough wire to mount battery and switch inside the rampages servo battery box. Im currently using a resistor on both lines but it should run fine without.. i recommend a resistor tho just to be safe (radioshack) View attachment 1997 this is a MILK CAP next to the reflector for size comparison. ITS A PERFECT RATIO TO THE RAMPAGE.Put your Board back into the reflector (you may have to file little notches in the casing to get the wires to fit nicely. then fill the back of the casing up with hot glue, and paint the glue black. Mount the reflectors on the car where desired, either with clamps or something. i made brackets that go on my roll cage.You now have the BRIGHTEST BY FAR, CHEAPEST light set that runs on there own batteries and can be turned on or off at free will..

100_0955.jpg

100_0957.jpg

lights.jpg

100_0958.jpg

/monthly_2009_10/100_0955.jpg.a1dd94ceaa731f25ba89bc17af4de170.jpg

/monthly_2009_10/100_0957.jpg.eb2520bb65cf2feac43e5ec0d7aa46c2.jpg

/monthly_2009_10/lights.jpg.3aecfa2681f887e5ee9a5625ac73f2fb.jpg

/monthly_2009_10/100_0958.jpg.d4a873b79d1397685d21ead7b02ffdbb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

rob142sti

so today i tested out the dual setup... these lights when angled the correct way, light up the surface in front of them for a good 20 ft by 4ft wide and its a constant stream of light, not like other setups where it shines on one spot like the hpi and others setups (pointless) you drive around with hpi setup and can only see whats 3 ft in front of you.. i cant wait to run them on snow covered grounds at night.. sooo bright its amazing. like having motorcycle HID headlights on your rampage

cheezer1222

hey rob, I'm doing your light setup and have the lights disassembled except for the led board. I'm having a devil of a time getting it out. Which way does it come out? Does it come out the end that it is closest to, or the opposite end? I just want to be sure that I'm pushing it the correct direction. It's in there pretty good.

P.S. Just a correction on the lumens. These are 150 lumen flashlights, not 250. Still awesomely bright.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmbk

cool rob awsome just finshed the car assmbly gonna start working on the light soon

and gonna do the the pint on the body btw is the open top better for the cooling or the closed one

rob142sti

sorry threw away the package 4 months ago.. thought it said 250.. you push the board out the same way as the batteries.. make sure the black retainer is out.. i had to give it a little pressure to get it out, no where near to the point that it would break..

rob142sti

mmbk said:
btw is the open top better for the cooling or the closed one
i think your talking about running with out the pod on top.. i got rid of mine because i think it looks better. but there is no proof the it runs cooler without

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts