• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Krylon fusion paint on MT tank???? Help

Deansta

Not sure if this is the right place to post this.

I'm working on the blacked out MT and I tried dying the tank black. I've learned that the New Ritt Dye formula doesn't do the job. It came out dark brown. I tried spraying that black flex seal on it and it looked good. I was having a hard time getting the snappy grommet in so I tried lubing it with WD40 and the flex seal started dissolving. Glad it happened before I had her all back together. I'm sure the gas would of did the same.

My question is has anyone tried the Krylon Fusion spray paint made for plastic on a new tank? Seems like it would work. There is also a Rustoleum Paint for plastic. I had a Honda Element and I painted the plastic fenders with it and it held up very well. Also it didn't come off with gas spill. I'm gonna try it just wanted to see if anyone else has?

G

That sucks that the flex seal broke down. Hopefully the plastic paint will hold up for you.

Deansta

I'm spraying plastidip spray on some garage windows. I think that might work too. Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks

rampage idiot

Deansta said:
Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I'm working on the blacked out MT and I tried dying the tank black. I've learned that the New Ritt Dye formula doesn't do the job. It came out dark brown. I tried spraying that black flex seal on it and it looked good. I was having a hard time getting the snappy grommet in so I tried lubing it with WD40 and the flex seal started dissolving. Glad it happened before I had her all back together. I'm sure the gas would of did the same.

My question is has anyone tried the Krylon Fusion spray paint made for plastic on a new tank? Seems like it would work. There is also a Rustoleum Paint for plastic. I had a Honda Element and I painted the plastic fenders with it and it held up very well. Also it didn't come off with gas spill. I'm gonna try it just wanted to see if anyone else has?
I just used the fusion paint on a tank it looks good but Im not sure how it will react when gas hits it:confused: I am hoping it will be ok! We shall see

Deansta

Should be fine. I sprayed my plastic fenders on my Honda Element and it had no prob with fuel spillage. But either way let us know. Gonna get my new tank tomorrow and plan on painting this week. Thanks!

Ryneito

Lightly sand it. Make sure it's clean and you should be fine with the Fusion paint. Ive been using it on all sorts of different parts with great success.

MrMeatHooks

My experience with painting gas tanks, motorcycles etc has never worked. No matter how well you clean, sand you will eventually get bubbling and pealing. What I have found is that the plastic fuel tanks vent through them, even if the tank is ventilated. Once the gas warms it will turn to vapor then vents through the porous plastic. Maybe make one out of aluminum then paint it ? :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts