• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

How much shock oil?

DMZamora

I'm planning to add a thicker shock oil on my XT. Do someone know how many oil is needed to fill the four shocks? I mostly can only find 20cc bottles here (and they are expensive), and I'm afraid that two may be too little.

Besides, do you think that 30wt can help to make the rig a little less bouncy?

Deluge

I'd get five 20cc bottles. You really have to experiment and see what works. Generally, thicker oil will help tame bouncy shocks. 30wt is fine, but 35wt would be better. Depends on what you can find.

alfred e numan

shock oil

You may be able to buy the shock oil at a motorcycle shop. It will not be silicone. Not certan of the brands of oil in your country, Motul brand of oils are used often in Europe.

DMZamora

Just bought a bottle of HPI #35 and... fail. It's thinner than stock oil, that seems to be around #40.

As information, each XT shock is filled with 15ml of oil.

Well, instead of spending another $20 on a bottle of #50, I'm more prone to change/mod the pistons. In fact, they have a lot of play inside the shock body, and I think that a lot of oil is crossing not for the holes, but by the gap between piston and body.

I will probably just start closing some piston holes with CA, to see what happens :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DMZamora

Could be, but I'm trying a less bouncy ride, and maybe not bottoming out so easily :)

If closing holes don't work, I'll try better sealing pistons, maybe some HB or Associated ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts