• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Heat Treated Diff Cups

Sprint 77

Contributor
I got back from the heat treaters today. He said the rockwell was 57 on the diff cupps and that was to hard so I am having them tempered to 700 deg. so MooMan you did the right thing with the torch heat up.

I should have mine back this week.

DemonRC

I'm glad somebody finally got a Rockwell measurement on them. Good info there Sprint.

mooman007uk

Banned
Yep, finally we have the low down, a simple cure for a frustrating problem, now I just need steel a and b gears and my ramp will be totally (I hope) mooproof....barring the inevitable bad driving induced poorpoors:rolleyes:

Piranha2

Contributor
Yeah, great news.......I'm not breaking difcups anymore.......I'm snapping dogbones now.......that stupid 77DOM is costing me a fortune.......that's it, I'm going back to the 23cc and stock can!!!!!!.......NOT!!!! :D

DemonRC

mooman007uk said:
Yep, finally we have the low down, a simple cure for a frustrating problem, now I just need steel a and b gears and my ramp will be totally (I hope) mooproof....barring the inevitable bad driving induced poorpoors:rolleyes:
The day I get my steel A/B's in I'm gonna throw some steaks on the grill and down me a 12 pack in celebration.

mooman007uk

Banned
Piranha2 said:
Yeah, great news.......I'm not breaking difcups anymore.......I'm snapping dogbones now.......that stupid 77DOM is costing me a fortune.......that's it, I'm going back to the 23cc and stock can!!!!!!.......NOT!!!! :D
I haven't done a dogbone yet but I'm sure it will come...maybe they want some tempering too if they seem to be a bit brittle

I'm feeling a bit sorry for my TT with a ONB 28.5 reed ported motor, 813 and 77dom. still waiting on a few parts and for the 4130 tube to arrive for the cage before I can get it running:( but it's gonna be nuts

funrc1988

Torch it

mooman007uk said:
use a plumbers torch and heat them, start at the tip and chase the blue up to the cup and then let cool, job done
So no dunking in water ? I was told bring up to the red zone, dunk in water , then heat and chase the blue !! Every time I am out bashing I break the cup, not good !!

vatoed

I've got an oven at work that will go up to 2000 degrees. Do I just put them in there at 700 for a while, then just pull them out?

If thats the case you guys can send them to me and I'll do them for you. Just send a package with your postage on it.

lumax

Sprint 77 said:
I got all my metal parts toasted dogbones and all, they were up around 56--57 rockwell also . Yeah guys horsepower costs $$ even in RC LOL
What about the dogbone, they raise the rockwell or they lower it like the diff cup ???

because the original dogbone seem to be too flexible...

Sprint 77

Contributor
lumax said:
What about the dogbone, they raise the rockwell or they lower it like the diff cup ???
because the original dogbone seem to be too flexible...
Lowered it as well , He said my parts will have some characteristics like spring steel. I am not sure if this will be better oin dogbone , but it should be easier on drivetrain , Time will tell.

Piranha2

Contributor
Piranha2 said:
Ditto again today, but for good reason.......landed a good size jump on the rear axle and tried a Gas Jockey wheelie that turned into a cartwheel. Then front wheel drive all the way back to the car........just to reach in my pocket to find a spare dogbone....... :mad: ......I swear I'm my own worst enemy!

Piranha2

Contributor
I have the 5B SS HD 6mm's all the way around, yeah I have to get the wifey to sew me some straps! Hey, you must of had a spare dif case from your upgrade kits, right? If not I have 3!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts