• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

FG Baja Wheels/Tires on a XB-E

Vision

Anyone know if we can use FG wheel/tires on a XB-E ?. I think the hubs are similar between the two vehicles ?. Let me know. Thanks!

G

They have the same square drive. But that's it. The wheels have to be drilled out as the fg axels are smaller. In most cases the axles on the xbe are to short and won't come through the wheel. I made custom axles by welding another 14mm or so of thread to lengthen them. I know you have an xbe, they do have the same axels and drive squares as this.

---

4bae12c1.jpg

Last edited:

Vision

Thanks for the reply. So is the reason you extended the axles due to clearance issues or were they just too short ?.

Sucks that nobody makes any fg adapters, I saw baja adapters, but fg wheels look nicer.

G

Thanks for the reply. So is the reason you extended the axles due to clearance issues or were they just too short ?.Sucks that nobody makes any fg adapters, I saw baja adapters, but fg wheels look nicer.
Yes. After I drilled out the wheels the axle did not reach the outside of the wheel. Even with a narrower drive square the axle still did not stick out the wheel.

RampageHopUps

Vision said:
Thanks for the reply. So is the reason you extended the axles due to clearance issues or were they just too short ?.Sucks that nobody makes any fg adapters, I saw baja adapters, but fg wheels look nicer.
I would have to make new axles instead of adapters. The market for them will be you and 2 other guys probably.

Vision

RCDAD, do you have any pictures you can post of the wheel hub ?. I assume that is a XB in the picture ?

Rob, that would be fantastic if you could make some xb to fg adapters. Do you have a estimate on how long they would take to produce ?.

I probably will also buy the baja adapters, any idea when you will have them in stock ?. Thanks.

RampageHopUps

Baja Adapters will be in stock in the next week. I hav eto call over there and see what the hold up is.

FG adapters won;t be made. I can;t make them in small batches. It would be cheaper to get FG axles and grind them down on a horizonatal grinder.

DemonRC

I dunno if you can still get them but my pre-release car came with extended threads. They are at least 10-12mm longer than the threads that came with the post release Redcat. Beware though. Those long threads will get snapped right off if your wheel takes a good hit.

Vision

Rob, here is a picture I found of the fg baja axle -

Do you think I can modify that with a dremel to work with the xb-e ?.

I haven't ordered my xb-e yet so I don't if shaving that part will work ?.

----

DemonRC, wow I didn't know. I wish I bought a pre-release. Are there any other redcat cars that use the longer axles ?. Maybe I can get them that way.

DemonRC

Vision said:
Rob, here is a picture I found of the fg baja axle - Do you think I can modify that with a dremel to work with the xb-e ?.

I haven't ordered my xb-e yet so I don't if shaving that part will work ?.

----

DemonRC, wow I didn't know. I wish I bought a pre-release. Are there any other redcat cars that use the longer axles ?. Maybe I can get them that way.
I've tried some FG wheels and instead of extending the axles I just grind out the face of the wheel where the nut goes to expose more thread. A couple of the other guys here have done the same. I don't think I'd want to go back to the extended axles. I hated breaking those threads off and having to weld them back on and then grind the beads down. Royal PITA.

RampageHopUps

It would be easier for a regular garage guy to grind off the original threads and tap the shaft for a long set screw. Then if it breaks you just replace that screw again. Or even leave it tapped and use a socket ehad cap screw for your wheel.

Vision

Hard to visualize without a picture =(.. Hope it's as easy as you say ;)

How many people would you need before you could manufacturer a adapter ?

Vision

DemonRC said:
I've tried some FG wheels and instead of extending the axles I just grind out the face of the wheel where the nut goes to expose more thread. A couple of the other guys here have done the same. I don't think I'd want to go back to the extended axles. I hated breaking those threads off and having to weld them back on and then grind the beads down. Royal PITA.
How much grinding on the front of the wheel do you think I would have to do ?. A few mm ? or more ?. Thanks.

RampageHopUps

Vision said:
Hard to visualize without a picture =(.. Hope it's as easy as you say ;) How many people would you need before you could manufacturer a adapter ?
I would need 25 people to make an adapter. I haven;t heard too many peopl easking, so I doubt we could get 25 to sign up.

I have to pull out the lather this weekend and fool around with some thoeries for Fg and Shredder adapters.

DemonRC

Vision said:
How much grinding on the front of the wheel do you think I would have to do ?. A few mm ? or more ?. Thanks.
When I put my FG Baja 4x4 stock wheels on the end of the thread was flush with the outer face of the wheel nut. On two other wheels the thread was only about 1/2 way into the nut. I had to grind off maybe 2mm of the wheel face around the nut area so that the nut can go all the way onto the thread.

Vision

Update : Tried on the fg wheels/grp wheels tonight and they will not work. The stud on the xbe won't poke out past the fg wheel. We can switch over to 9mm square hubs from the fg, but even then unless you grind 2-3mm at least of the fg wheel it won't find. If you grind the wheel down you risk the wheel cracking/breaking in a hit my friend said.

ImminentFailure

Sounds like exactly what everyone advised of already...

The best idea yet was robs and that's grinding off the thread, tapping the axle stub, and threading on a longer threaded post. Could locktite that in, and then use just a nut like normal to hold the tire on.

Then again that sounds a bit simpler for me because my dad owns a tool and die shop, so I have taps to thread a new hole. Sure you could take the axle end off the CVD in the front, and the axle cups in the rear and find a small time garage guy to zip them off, and tap them in a drill press.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts