• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dual steering????

Toyonka

I know that some of you have took it upon yourselves and done this, but.....are there any plans for Redcat to come out with a dual steering kit that would bolt right in with minimum mods????

The reason why I bring this up is because my steering servo crapped out :mad: on me about a week and a bit ago. So I'm looking for a dual steering kit to come out and this will determine on what servo or servos to get as replacements. Or should I forget about it and stick to one steering servo (5745). In the mean time, I'm stuck .....

hamster huey

Two basic servos + the conversion are going to cost more than one 5745 and be close in performance to one 5745. I say get one nice 5745 or bad ass Rhino. Two rhinos or two 5745s would be the best in my opinion.

kryptonite

anything you do will be better then the stock stearing servo. the one in my mt lasted about 5minutes.. im not really a fan of the duall servos. a standard 350oz servo will crank them big wheels lock-to-lock with no problem, but i guess 700oz of torque is pretty damn cool. i would really think the new radio box and servo mount should be here soon as many already have the v2 mt.. in my opinion, buying one decant servo is a good way to go. the cheapest servo you are gona find is $42.00. it has plastic gears.(hs-805) and the next one up is the hs-745. ($72). so your looking at almost $180 to do the duall servo conversion.. thats when it come out.. for $115, you can buy a killer servo and never look back(rhino)

this is what i have in my mt.. its ok. could use more torque, but im happy

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.2548/.f

this is the king-of-kings. roughly the same torque, but its like night and day. has great centering power and holds well to elimanate stearing fade halfway thru the run.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.2546/.f

pup1970

What about the new digital servo from HPI. I don't know the price though. I guess I got REAL lucky when a racer friend upgraded to the 5745 in two bajas and sold me his metal gear steering servos for $20 for 2.

hamster huey

$20 for 2 digital HPIs is a great deal but by the time you buy the pieces you need to convert to two your better of with one 5745 or one rhino. I stand by my original opinion two rhinos or 5745s is bad ass. Sell the HPIs for $30+ if their in good shape and use that towards your new one. I run one 5745. Its not the best but its enough and under $75 with nothing else needed.

Wicked

mooman007uk said:
great hobbies in canada was selling 5745's for $60cad each, haven't checked lately.
As kryp said 2x 5745 is all you'll need or 1 digi 4. i'd recommend 2 x 5745's for the mt tires and a rhino for tt/5b tires. Ultimate would be 2x digi4's but at 760ozins is slightly overkill....but nice
Yea they are selling it for $69.99 which is a great price for us CDN's.

My stock servo hasn't died yet but I have been thinking of upgrading. Is the 5745 that big of an improvement over the stock st servo?

emu67

I don't get it. The 5745 and the rhino have nearly the same specicfications but the guys are saying the rhino has better holding power. what happenened?

kryptonite

emu67 said:
I don't get it. The 5745 and the rhino have nearly the same specicfications but the guys are saying the rhino has better holding power. what happenened?
i don't know the reasoning behind it either, but i have both servo's. there is a noticable diffrence. i think it has to do with the cercutry and the quality of the servo.. i notice by the second tank my hitech is fading or seems to be fading. it still centers fine, but the rihno is by far more superior.. worth every penny. the rihno also looks way better. the servo horns are monsterous and the splines look like something out a of a ford f350.. very very robust!

hamster huey

One 5745 is a very big improvement with nothing else to buy. One Rhino is a huge improvement with mothing else to buy. If you double either it doesn't get any better. The specs are different, .14sec and 354oz for the rhino @6v and .15sec and 249oz @6v for the 5745 (specs at manu. sites). The rhino has more speed and torque.

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

hamster huey said:
One 5745 is a very big improvement with nothing else to buy. One Rhino is a huge improvement with mothing else to buy. If you double either it doesn't get any better. The specs are different, .14sec and 354oz for the rhino @6v and .15sec and 249oz @6v for the 5745 (specs at manu. sites). The rhino has more speed and torque.
those rhino numbers "feel" correct, but for some reason other sites state the rhino is only pulling 205oz @ 6v.. check out the specs from tower and ddm

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJCG2&P=ML

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.2546/.f

and this is from multiplex usa.

http://www.multiplexusa.com/multiplex_radios_components_/servos/rhino_digi_4.php

there has been other talk about the specs sheet before and it has come to light that there is some error in the translation of the german specs. my rhino box states 250oz @6v..

kryptonite

mooman007uk said:
I think the 205 quote is for 4.8v
you would think so right? its crazy how every one has these numbers messed up.. this is from tower.. it says 180oz @ 4.8v..lol.

INCLUDES: One Rhino Digi 4 metal geared digital servo

One servo accessory package containing one large four arm servo horn,

one single arm servo horn,and servo mounting hardware.

Instruction sheet

REQUIRES: Application requiring large servo

SPECS: Length: 2.32" (59mm)

Width: 1.14" (29mm)

Height: 2.17" (55mm)

Weight: 5.14oz (165g)

Speed: .12 sec/40°@ 4.8V and .10 sec/40° @ 6V
Torque: 180 oz-in @ 4.8V and 205 oz-in @ 6.0V

hamster huey

I believe all of those specs are correct. If you read closely their are 2 specs one for 40 degrees on 4.8/6v and one for 60 degrees on 4.8/6v. I beleive the ones I quoted are 60 degrees. Any servo will go from 0 to 40 degrees faster than it can go from 0 to 60 degrees. 0 to 40 degrees is a smaller arc than 0 to 60 degrees. I care about 60 degree 6v tq and speed ratings for my servos.

Last edited by a moderator:

Toyonka

WOW.....thanks for the all the info :D ...I didn't think I'd get this kind of response :eek: But after everything sank in, I've made a decision. I'm going to go with the 5745. That way....once Redcat finally release the dual steering kit, I'll be able to upgrade for a little more $$ than the cost of one rhino AND have a whopping 500oz of steering torque.

kryptonite

good choice!! glad we could be of ass-istance:D

its amazing how we can "milk" a thread. i think i saw a 5 page thread on one single pin, we should get that one going again..lol:D

BIRDOFPREY

are 2 rihnos to much torq on the servo saver and steering unit?????

kryptonite

BIRDOFPREY said:
are 2 rihnos to much torq on the servo saver and steering unit?????
i really wouldnt think so. i still set my servo saver the same for my driving style, but i can see what you meen. if we crank down on the servo saver, it might put stress on the tie rods and so on. but i wouldnt think it to be a big concern, just soemthing to be aware of.. good point.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts