• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dry spark plug.

JohnCHarris

Ok I am having a real problem with this damn thing. Been trying to start my dr for about an hour and I'm not getting anything. And before you say it no it is not flooded, dry as every. I have tried adjusting the low speed needle to About every place I could before it is completely out and still dry as sin in the motor. So I thought had to be the carb bought a new one still dry. Checked the line from the tank clean as could be. The bulb is full as should be. Took the motor apart to check the piston an all looks fine. Completely lost in this 2 stroke world.

Deluge

When you installed the new carb, did you put the gasket on correctly? There's a pulse port on the carb, and it'll give you starting issues if it's blocked. Make sure the gasket isn't blocking it.

What carb are you running? Does it have a choke? If it doesn't have a choke, you can pull the plug and drip a little fuel into the cylinder to get it to pop.

Phill

Have you installed the fuel lines the right way round

Inlet to the bottom?

JohnCHarris

Yeah I have checked the pulse port and it was clear both times. I am running the factory carb and I have a 990 but no luck with either one. I have tried the fuel in the motor and could not get anything. I'm going to buy some starting fluid and try that tonight.

Phill the lines are the correct way.

Deluge

The fact that you're having the same problem with two different carbs makes me think it's the engine.

Have you had it running, before?

How do the intake and the gasket look? Is the intake warped or cracked?

Have you done a compression test? Pour some oil down into the cylinder, about a teaspoon. That'll boost compression temporarily. If it starts and dies after a few moments, that's your problem.

You said you took the cylinder off. How did the plating look? Any flaking?

JohnCHarris

Yes I have had it running before, 20+ hours. Which part is the intake? I'll check it out. Also I will try a compression check. Plating looked fine, no flaking.

JohnCHarris

Well after a few nights of hard work I notice a little fuel leaking from head gasket area. Replaced the gasket, then while reinstalling the intake... It spit where one bolt goes lol. So still down, any ideas where to buy an upgraded intake? Some type of metal?

Pedal2themedal

JohnCHarris said:
Well after a few nights of hard work I notice a little fuel leaking from head gasket area. Replaced the gasket, then while reinstalling the intake... It spit where one bolt goes lol. So still down, any ideas where to buy an upgraded intake? Some type of metal?
DDM has billet intakes, they are pretty cheap.

GCraig

Check the feul line insde the fuel tank at the clunck filter for cracks or slips by removing the black rubber gromet from fuel tank.

apocalypse123

This is old but I wonder if he tried using a new spark plug. The stock ones have a gap that is too wide. I put a ngk plug in mine, has a lower gap and it fires right up. no more 20-50 pulls.

Phill

apocalypse123 said:
This is old but I wonder if he tried using a new spark plug. The stock ones have a gap that is too wide. I put a ngk plug in mine, has a lower gap and it fires right up. no more 20-50 pulls.
You can set the gap to whatever you want

No need to change plugs just for gap

JohnCHarris

Yes I changed the spark plug, problem was not with the plug. Problem is that not fuel was getting to the plug. Turned out to be a warped intake.

kydo32

I am having same problem mine its getting gas to primer bulb but not to cylinder but if put gas in cylinder starts right up then dies. I was wondering should I just get the aluminum manifold for behind carb or get a new carb? its a stock one . whats best carb with choke or should go with the 990? is this what I need or one with bearing shaft http://www.davesmotors.com/walbro-wt-990-carburetor.html I would rather have a choke especially in winter months they have two billet manifolds at ddm which one fits the 30hy stock carb ? or the 990 carb?

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

kydo32 said:
I am having same problem mine its getting gas to primer bulb but not to cylinder but if put gas in cylinder starts right up then dies. I was wondering should I just get the aluminum manifold for behind carb or get a new carb? its a stock one . whats best carb with choke or should go with the 990? is this what I need or one with bearing shaft http://www.davesmotors.com/walbro-wt-990-carburetor.html I would rather have a choke especially in winter months they have two billet manifolds at ddm which one fits the 30hy stock carb ? or the 990 carb?
I'd do both

This is the manifold I have that fits http://www.davesmotors.com/ada-billet-rc-cy-intake-manifold.html

I had to shorten the bolts to fit it

I have the stock 990 but the sealed bearing one is probably a good idea

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts