• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

crawler build

Jgilk1

well i have been passing around several ideas for a crawler build in my head for some time now... just haven't fully decided on a base platform yet....

several issues

1.finding an engine/motor with low end torque (think i have found that in the Honda gx35 is a 4stroke that has the advantage of running in any position and gives decent torque in the low end though it don't spank out past 8k rpm)

2. gearing to compensate for lack of low end torque... i don't know how to go about this and wouldn't have tools/skill to do such a thing my self (both the main drive and the front and read diffs) what gearing options low gearing is available for the rampage

3. being that it is going to be a low speed gas powered rock crawler i haven't yet decided on if i want to do single high torque servo steering or dual or yet to the fact if i want to go full blown nuts and do a dual steering front and rear

4.locking the front and rear diff... full lock as in both wheels spin the same speed

5. suspension setup yeah i know 4wis isnt the best platform for rock crawler but i don't see much of any other option that would stand up to the abuse in a solid axle...

6. what size wheel/tire combo would work best??? i was thinking like a team go nads 3.9 rok lok or a pro line moab and would i have to change the wheels??? beedlocks????

7.whether to buy shock towers that give me more option to change shock angle or just stick with the factory 2 position...

9.10.11 fill me in on blanks i might have missed

and again on the fact that i know a 4w independent suspension isnt the best platform i want to go gasoline with this build not electric.... and i know the gx35 isnt the best out there but i see more options available for it in the future.... to compensate for torque band (weight to power is way off but we shall see with gearing better exhaust and a tuned intake)

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

Get a 30.5cc engine non ported if you want low end power.

There is ''non redcat'' gear available wich give approx 10 to 12mph at full throttle (based on 15,000rpm)

rob64n

Contributor
someone makes a crawler setup for 1/5 scales with electric motors and it shows our mt tires on it but they want 699.00 for the kit

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts