• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

CF Sheets

Deluge

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Default.aspx

They sell a kit for making your own CF parts. I was watching some videos on Youtube that were posted by a robotics team. They actually used styrofoam covered in clear packaging tape and coated with wax, as a mold. Here are the links in case you're interested:

Fat dude is kind of annoying, but there's some info on the process.

Martin

And you can buy it in some color choice, for the purpose I bought blue fiber.

Martin

Here how I make mine, this is home made and this is the first time I make carbon fiber, i'm not 100% satisfies but that give me a nice strong carbon sheet.I use several layer of 12K twill, then 1 layer of blue carbon fiber on both side, I apply epoxy between each layer and I compress it between two glass.I'm very impressed on how strong are this material, the sheet yu see, I cannot break it myself, I tried hard, but I'm not enough strong to break the sheet.

carbon glass.jpg

carbon plate.jpg

/monthly_2010_03/583c605c6aa4a_carbonglass.jpg.02daa062f039f2f3d20387a29d421789.jpg

/monthly_2010_03/583c605c6c419_carbonplate.jpg.ef4317769512173ec46560c61da827e1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

No fiberglass, only carbon fiber twill.

Epoxy take minimum 12 hours of drying if you want to begin to work on your piece.

pipeous

we made the sheets with waxed glass and used fibreglass resin. tempered glass and mold release wax... there's also a tool looks like a pizza cutter to roll over the material to get the bubbles out... retired boat builder showed me how.

twisted - bones

Martin said:
And you can buy it in some color choice, for the purpose I bought blue fiber.
Just an fyi. Pure carbon fiber only comes in one color...Black.... the blue and other colors are dyed kevlar that is inter weaved with the carbon fiber. If your sheet has a weave that is any color but black then chances are it is kevlar and you should be happy to know you just built a bullet proof part:D

Martin

Yes I know that 100% carbon fiber are only black.

Like I said, to make a sheet I used several layer of 12K pure (100%) carbon fiber, and 1 layer of 3K blue on both side to make look blue colored.

The filaments of blue fabric are some sort of synthetic and they melt with a heat gun, I tested.

Martin

Well, I made a carbon fiber chassis for another of my RC, this is aprrox the same length and width than a Rampage, thus this morning I unmolded it, I said wow, ''thats very strong'', however there is a big problem, I can twist it easily...... very easily

I know now that the layer are all in the same direction, and I suppose I'd have had to put diagonal layer, now It's good for the garbage loll..!!

ruthee1

Put on ebay, I'm sure someone will buy it...one mans garbage is another...you know what I mean.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts