• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Brakes... Hmm none...

nimblecook

First good bashing with the truck went well, super fun truck. Now the brakes won't lock up at all. I can get to and adjust the top screw in, but not the bottom. Is there an easy way to get in there to adjust it, or maybe a better tool? Or better yet am I way off adjusting the set screws?

Phill

First good bashing with the truck went well, super fun truck. Now the brakes won't lock up at all. I can get to and adjust the top screw in, but not the bottom. Is there an easy way to get in there to adjust it, or maybe a better tool? Or better yet am I way off adjusting the set screws?
Have you tried adjusting the linkage?

nimblecook

Have you tried adjusting the linkage?
Thanks, i have, it was our first time out and we road them hard. Think we wore/broke them in and they need adjusted, just having issues doing just that.

nimblecook

Adjusted the linkage, and got rid of the damn spring for a fuel tube. It works like a charm for about 10min and then the brakes are right back to sloppy if any. Suggestions anyone??

nimblecook

Yeah, I'm thinking it could just be the collar now, need to run to the hobby shop and grab one. Ill let you know if that did it.

nimblecook

Well replaced the screw in the collar, double checked the linkage, and... still no damn brakes. I guess I have to break down and find a way to get to the grub screws :-(

nimblecook

Well adjusting the grub screws in was much easier than I had anticipated, and solved my braking issue of, no brakes. I just removed the steering linkage off the knuckle, removed the 4 screws holding the servos on the chassis, and BAM!!! access granted.

CHECK THESE OUT: I found these amazing Balldriver Stubby L-wrenches on Amazon which made it real easy to get to the grub screws.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E7XK74/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

nimblecook

There are 2 grub screw on the inside section of the brake pad cage, you is a stubby or modified alan wrench to get them. You just need to back them out a 1/4 turn then try, or a 1/4 forward if no brakes and try.

SYNPRODUCTIONZ

There are 2 grub screw on the inside section of the brake pad cage, you is a stubby or modified alan wrench to get them. You just need to back them out a 1/4 turn then try, or a 1/4 forward if no brakes and try.

Thank you, I did that and used a stronger spring from a pen on the throtle linkage and it seems to be braking now! There is less roll when in nuetral but at least I can come to a stop within a 4-5 feet.

G-Man

I made this video because I couldn't find one. It isn't the greatest footage but gives direction. You want your rig to roll free after the adjustment. Take up a little slack in the brake discs with the 2 grub screws. Then adjust the linkage on the arm so it isn't applied at all, you want that brake arm to be free, not hitting the brakes. Then adjust your radio end points. Also take a finer grit sandpaper and sand up the brake pads and discs, glazing will make them almost inoperative also.

G-Man

Thank you, I did that and used a stronger spring from a pen on the throtle linkage and it seems to be braking now! There is less roll when in nuetral but at least I can come to a stop within a 4-5 feet.
Sounds like you have the linkage adjusted too tight on the brake arm, you want that arm to be free. If the linkage is pushing on the arm without you hitting the controller then the brakes are dragging from the linkage. If the brakes are dragging they get hot and glaze up rendering them pretty much useless. The less roll in neutral is the brakes dragging

SYNPRODUCTIONZ

Sounds like you have the linkage adjusted too tight on the brake arm, you want that arm to be free. If the linkage is pushing on the arm without you hitting the controller then the brakes are dragging from the linkage. If the brakes are dragging they get hot and glaze up rendering them pretty much useless. The less roll in neutral is the brakes dragging

You guys are the best! Appreciate the video!! Is there a way I can upload a video directly I took on my phone to the forum instead of youtubing it? I loosened the linkage a little and seems to roll better now and still brake. Want to show you guys how quickly it stops to see if its good enough are can break even better. Thanks again!! Cheers

G-Man

You guys are the best! Appreciate the video!! Is there a way I can upload a video directly I took on my phone to the forum instead of youtubing it? I loosened the linkage a little and seems to roll better now and still brake. Want to show you guys how quickly it stops to see if its good enough are can break even better. Thanks again!! Cheers
Honestly the brakes are not that great to begin with. Mine never stopped on a dime, even new. I just take that into consideration and a 5th needs space to run anyways so it really isn't much of an issue for me.

So, I have the opposite problem, my breaks keep locking up even when I have not applied them. Seams to be binding possibly due to to much slop, or at least that's what I'm thinking. Will try to check this out and see if it fixes my problem as well.
I wonder if the Baja guys have this many problems to work through on a brand new rig?

G-Man

So, I have the opposite problem, my breaks keep locking up even when I have not applied them. Seams to be binding possibly due to to much slop, or at least that's what I'm thinking. Will try to check this out and see if it fixes my problem as well.
I wonder if the Baja guys have this many problems to work through on a brand new rig?
Ya try adjusting the setscrews a little in the brake shaft mount. Try to get in there and sand/scuff up the 3 brake discs and 2 pads a little too. Then set your linkage. I think all rc's need torn down and gone through before use, although almost nobody does. I also fell victim of not going through using loctite. One setscrew came loose and I had enough. I tore it down and cranked all the screws down using loctite this time. I see your point the factory should be more stringent on standards, but this is not an on road car that is occupied by people so there really isn't a law or rule. Plus you get to know the rig pulling all the screws...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts