• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Bearing carriers and C-hubs installed

amstel78

I received my front and rear bearing carriers plus C-hubs along with 8 beefy wheel bearings yesterday. I finally installed everything without issue. The quality of craftsmanship of the 7075 parts is excellent.

I have a question though regarding the design of the bearing carriers. I compared them against the stock pieces last night. Apart from the use of oversize bearings and aluminum, how do the 7075 bearing carriers prevent lateral strain on the inner races when the wheel nut is tightened? There is still a gap between the inboard and outboard bearing's inner race. Would it not have been better to have the carrier's bearing ledge come down all the way to the bearing mouth?

Anyway, just a couple of cell phone pics after I finished the last wheel.

uje9yjub.jpg

e2yma5u8.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

BTW, I noticed this on one of the front wheel carriers. Whoever assembled this car overtightened one of the screws causing the metal insert to rotate and damage the carrier. It may have failed during a hard bash session.

y3yzu7ut.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ol' fart

My HPI adapters solve the spacer problem as no side pressure is put on the bearings. However, if you want to run the stock axle you NEED to run a spacer. Nobody makes them so you have to come up with your own.

amstel78

Interesting. Why not just have a larger machined ledge that would go down as far as the inner race? Would that have solved the problem without requiring spacers?

As for the adapters, count me in for a set of the 10mm versions as soon as they're back in stock.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

amstel78

Good point. I didn't think of that.

It's too bad no one out there makes spacers!

RaMpaGeMuLiShA

hey did you ever find a solution to the spacer problem? ive gone through one tank and one bearing is starting to go and since its a four day weekend i wont be able to get the HPI adapters till next fri maybe

RaMpaGeMuLiShA

RampageHopUps said:
I was thinking a bearing inner race was the same width to work as a spacer?? Not sure though.
Tried that already, it's about a Lil less then half that length. went to hardware stores today 10mm washers r to big and tried to drill 8mm washer to 10mm hole but always came out uneven and ruff. a suggestion was made to use copper or aluminum tubbing and cut to length I will try tomorrow but all I have is a hack saw to do the job hoping it will come out even and if that doesn't work ill just have to call my buddy who owns a machine shop and have him do it. Open to any other suggestions though

andyken

Try a 10mm lock washer, put it in a vise and flatten it out. Get the spring shape out of it...pliers /vice. It will have a smaller O.D. than a washer.

RaMpaGeMuLiShA

andyken said:
Try a 10mm lock washer, put it in a vise and flatten it out. Get the spring shape out of it...pliers /vice. It will have a smaller O.D. than a washer.
Bought those as well today just didn't play around with them yet, getting late here for me so I will try in the morning and get back to the post. And yes they do have a smaller o.d.

Thank you

amstel78

RaMpaGeMuLiShA said:
Tried that already, it's about a Lil less then half that length. went to hardware stores today 10mm washers r to big and tried to drill 8mm washer to 10mm hole but always came out uneven and ruff. a suggestion was made to use copper or aluminum tubbing and cut to length I will try tomorrow but all I have is a hack saw to do the job hoping it will come out even and if that doesn't work ill just have to call my buddy who owns a machine shop and have him do it. Open to any other suggestions though
Where did you get 10mm Al or Cu tubing from? I assume ID has to be 10mm, what about OD?

RaMpaGeMuLiShA

amstel78 said:
Where did you get 10mm Al or Cu tubing from? I assume ID has to be 10mm, what about OD?
this is the closest thing i could find at the moment....... 7/16 round brass, i think its going to be to soft of a metal. got it at my local hobby shop, working on lock washers now and going to hardware store later to find more tubbing, IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

/monthly_2012_12/IMG_0420.jpg.3caa366ea3bf51673396c915e51dbeba.jpg

RaMpaGeMuLiShA

andyken said:
ok 10mm lock washers are o.k. with inner and outer diam.but as u can see the thickness of the washer isn't working to well. IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0421.jpg

IMG_0424.JPG

/monthly_2012_12/IMG_0421.jpg.e207232bd6b208d067b5863ecfdd38ed.jpg

/monthly_2012_12/IMG_0424.JPG.f8cca5fdd1b57f7647a87fdc3049ff85.JPG

RaMpaGeMuLiShA

Solved maybe????So i went to hobby shop and found 10mm shims for Aligns helis but it was 2pcs for 4$ and i wasn't about to pay for that, i finally got to AUTOZONE and asked for 10mm shims he showed me a whole box with different size 10mm shims so i grabbed a hand full and left. bashed all day and it seems like the 10.3mm shims worked the best, still experiencing binding though, could be my unbalanced tires doing it, have to get back to you guys when i get new tires in on Friday. below are numbers and pics if you want to try my method.

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.JPG

IMG_0426.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.JPG

/monthly_2013_01/IMG_0426.jpg.58a2528466d9154953115881fc413391.jpg

/monthly_2013_01/IMG_0425.jpg.661a8be879bc043914a8b0a72f859dcf.jpg

/monthly_2013_01/IMG_0427.JPG.c55c57857701276a21a5dcb20e29c178.JPG

G

No. Something is wrong if you need to shim those adapters. You tighten the adapter until it just touches the bearing but not tight. The set screws will line up with the flat on the axle. If the adapter is to tight against the bearing it will cause premature failure.

amstel78

RaMpaGeMuLiShA said:
So i went to hobby shop and found 10mm shims for Aligns helis but it was 2pcs for 4$ and i wasn't about to pay for that, i finally got to AUTOZONE and asked for 10mm shims he showed me a whole box with different size 10mm shims so i grabbed a hand full and left. bashed all day and it seems like the 10.3mm shims worked the best, still experiencing binding though, could be my unbalanced tires doing it, have to get back to you guys when i get new tires in on Friday. below are numbers and pics if you want to try my method.
Thanks for the info despite this thread being 2 years old. I'm going to dust off my XB this weekend and will swing by the auto parts hut and pick up some of those 10.3mm shims.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts