• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

2 speed transmission problem

rroberson7805

Just bought a 2 speed transmission off ebay and so far it fit great but I think something internally is backwards. Neither one of the gears will engage at all unless I'm in reverse wich my truck does not even have. I already took off 2nd gear and looked at the main paw that engages 2nd gear but that's not the problem. It's whatever is behind 1st gear that must be backwards I'm thinking 7ff6d32a83c4164f4f80885ec6c03726.jpg . Guess I'm about to disassemble this thing and was curious of what you guys think and know about how these transmissions work.

rroberson7805

Ice_2k said:
Just curious, how do you know 2nd gear engages if going in reverse?
I don't know. I did take 2nd gear off and inspected the main paw but did not go far enough to get 1st gear off. I know it works in reverse by turning it by hand.

rroberson7805

Problem- 1st gear has an offset to it and will not work flopping it over. I can get it on but leaves no room on the 1st shaft to connect to 2nd gear. I hope that made sense and I really hope I'm not screwed because factory worker installed one way bearing wrong... What is the purpouse of one way bearing anyways? I might just lock it up, lol. cece1e89353138dc238a7f52c7b1215c.jpg

Ice_2k

When 2nd gear engages, the first gear needs to spin "backwards" relative to the 2nd gear, if you lock it, it won't be able to shift into 2nd gear.

GCraig

rroberson7805 said:
Just bought a 2 speed transmission off ebay and so far it fit great but I think something internally is backwards. Neither one of the gears will engage at all unless I'm in reverse wich my truck does not even have. I already took off 2nd gear and looked at the main paw that engages 2nd gear but that's not the problem. It's whatever is behind 1st gear that must be backwards I'm thinking 7ff6d32a83c4164f4f80885ec6c03726.jpg . Guess I'm about to disassemble this thing and was curious of what you guys think and know about how these transmissions work.
rrobertson7805 before you take the transmission apart try this. Turn the gears on the clutch bell shaft counter clockwise and the wheels should turn clockwise.

GCraig

All you guys having problems with 2 speed Transmission on Rampages please get in touch with me either here or on Facebook at George Craig.

GCraig

Rroberson7805 please get in touch with me about your 2 speed Transmission. I have specialized in these transmissions.

GCraig

No going forward. Rroberson7805 found that the one way bearing is installed incorrectly from the factory.

Ice_2k

My question was how could he tell the transmission was shifting to 2nd gear while going in reverse, because that's what he said.

Ice_2k

rroberson7805 said:
Neither one of the gears will engage at all unless I'm in reverse
That's what I thought you said

rroberson7805

Ok, what I meant by that is they just spin and not engage sending the force from the first shaft with clutch bell thru the second shaft ending up on the 3rd shaft wich makes the whole thing function. Kind of hard to explain to me but I tried, lol. Going to try and nock that one way bearing out later on and fix this if I get a chance, been working a lot lately, they are mailing me another one so if I mess it up it will be ok.

GCraig

Ice_2k said:
My question was how could he tell the transmission was shifting to 2nd gear while going in reverse, because that's what he said.
Ok I misunderstood the question

rroberson7805

Stock carb that's not very old, It was tuned way to rich ( I was right in the middle of tuning it when it died and will not crank back up) no killer bee, brand new ngk plug. Long story short I bought it from someone in California thru ebay and carb needed to be tuned from air difference so I took too long adjusting the high speed needel trying adjusting, trying, adjusting, trying, adjusting, and I just got off you tube where I hear that I'm more than likely fowling spark plugs. I'm kind of new so please don't laugh too hard, lol. About a month ago I bought a new plug and it cranked right up but lean fuel mix tells me I fowled my new plug within 15min. I just have not had time or patience to do much more than brass wire brush to the spark plug. Might be flooding it also.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts