• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

$0.75 Sparkplug Protector

Orcusomega

OK, I am almost embarrassed to post this, but I hope it will save someone else the pain in the tail of broken spark plugs when gravity decides you should go rubber side up :)

At a recent Monster Jam show, I was running my MT off the big ramp (you know, the one meant for the 10,000 lb monster trucks LOL) and ended up landing rubber-side up. Aside from the obvious damage to the body, I also hit the roll cage inside, forcing the metal plate into the top of the spark plug boot, cracking the plug. Luckily that's all it did, and did not damage the threads in the head! If you look, you can even see the dent in the metal cover from the impact as well...

So, since I had some PVC pieces from other projects lying around, I decided to make a spark plug protector. I took a 1/2" PVC T fitting, and shopped 1" off one end, sprayed it with truck bed liner I had lying around as well, and wala - instant plug protector. It looks pretty good - I could make it a bit nicer looking by being OCD-like in my cutting, but since it is under the plate, I didn't care TOO much about the final look...

The T-fitting fits around the plug and the plug wire as well, putting the PVC higher than the plug wire, so it will take the hit instead of the plug. Yes, this will cause the pressure to go onto the plastic head cover on the motor, but better than smashing a plug into the head and destroying the threads. Obviously this is not a fool-proof solution, but it does help to protect against all but the hardest hits :)

Hope it helps.

Keith81

yeah, that will save your plug for sure, glad nothing more serious happened the first time when it broke, OUCH!

Orcusomega

Thanks. It wasn't the only damage however :) I blew a rear output shaft and bent the rear center driveshaft as well - the motor wasn't tuned quite right, went off the jump and started nosing down - I got on the gas to bring it up, but the lag was bad enough that when I landed I was WOT... Doh!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts