Center Diff..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center Diff..

Just been playing around to see if there is a really simple way of getting a canter diff into a TT or MT.
    I thought that we could use a standard front, rear diff housing.
    So far I think that all it would need is a new belt, brake shaft, a top plate and 7 holes drilled into the base plate.
    I will mark up a sheet of MDF with the hole locations and mount the diff housings and see what it looks like.
    I may have got it wrong but it looks easy (doesn’t everything before you get down to the detail)
    I know that the model is not particularly clear but I’ve just done a couple of screen shots at the end of the day. Will post some clearer pic tomorrow if there is any interest.
    Anyway, I will keep you posted.
    Attached Files

That should read Center diff!!

Comment

Would be cool! But... What an awesome 3D model you've got there!

Comment

Looks cool man. That would be a great option if you get it to fit.

Comment

Great idea ! Would be a nice upgrade for the mt

Comment

Cool idea good to see how it goes.

Comment

Thats a cool idea. I've been trying to find a center diff and never though of using the front or rear one. I think this can work. Would be very nice mod. Huge improvment over the locked center.

Comment

Nice model.
                Is that Solidworks?
                Would you be willing to share????
                pretty please..

Comment

great idea , that should keep a few things from breaking. looks like the shaft where the brake disks are is where the customizing will be. keep working on it. I will give my ideas also if I can.

Comment

I made a custom aluminum top plate for my XB.. fairly easy, again I think the shaft area is going to be the tough part.

Comment

Center Diff

Just a quick update.
                      Done some more work on the concept of the centre diff, just taking the standard gearbox and sticking it in the 4x4 transfer gears. Loved this idea as it would be so simple for us all to do and the diff would be encased and lubricated and not subject to grit, dirt and other stuff like the existing 4x4 transfer gears.
                      Not good news guys, you all probably know this anyway but the diff gear box is bigger in diameter than the 4x4 transfer gears and from the bottom to the centre line of the drive cups on the diff case is 7 mm higher than the gear plate.
                      Worse still is that it needs to be that high to reach under the engine.
                      Therefore, the only way to get the existing diff in to this location would be to lift the engine and redesign the gear plate.
                      Way too much messing around. I considered just cutting a hole in the deck and mounting the diff without the case but it looks horrible. The idea of the pinion gear exposed to grit and dirt just doesn’t sit right with me and also the pinion gear would extend 2 mm below the bottom of the deck. Just right for catching rocks???
                      Back to the CAD board.
                      I’m currently too busy with my rebuild of the DR to put the time in to this one anyway..
                      Bugger….
                      If you guys have any suggestions I would be happy to model them and see if there is a way around this….
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                      X